Burning hydraulic fluid in diesel engine?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
MattE
430 crawler
430 crawler

Diesel additives

Post by MattE » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:42 am

It all breaks down to this... Old diesels (pre ULSD emmisions) will burn any thin oil you want to mix at some pretty high ratios (25%) and run just as well as straight diesel. I did hear a story once about a guy that put phosphate ester hyd. fluid (does not burn and eats seals) in his tank and the results were not good so make sure it is petroleum based fluid.

New diesels you can still mix ATF or oil with your fuel but need to be careful not to get the viscosity too high as it will burn up your injector pump. DO NOT prime a new diesel filter with straight ATF. you may get away with it a few times but you'll destroy your pump.

ATF cleans injectors b/c it contains cleaning agents to keep the small passageways/valves in an automatic transmission open. It also provides increased top end lubrication. The drawback is it dyes your fuel red, although it does not look exactly like dyed fuel any DOT cop will think it is and I doubt they will buy the ATF excuse.

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

bio fuel operating temps

Post by pop pop » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:46 am

when i bought some biofuel , the guy told me it had a gelling point and that as the weather changed, he made it accordingly.
i'll get some better details and update .

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Pop Pop,

The gell piont on "true" biodiesel(methanol catylized esterification) is due to some degree on which hydroxide you use(sodium or potassium) and how carefull you are with your calculations, anotherwords getting the most complete reaction that you can with the least intermediete biproducts(which should be your goal at ANY time of year). I feel that it is more dependant on how well it is "washed" to remove the soaps left from the reaction.
We have had good results using Potassium Hydroxide instead of Lye(sodium hydroxide) as it gives a cleaner break of the products of reaction.
Run it 100% in a chevy 6.5 TD and a 45 horse New holland tractor down into the 20's before it will start to wax the filter, At that piont we start dumping in petrodiesel. The old 6.5 is a lot quieter on bio. Trying to push the waxed fuel through the filter is hard on the lift pump though.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.