440A JD Skidder problem

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
scotmanster
MC crawler
MC crawler

440A JD Skidder problem

Post by scotmanster » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Hello new to the forums. Looking for some help. I have a 440A JD skidder and ran it the last two years pulling out logs. This year I started early and decide to enagage the differential lock because it is really muddy. The differential lock is located on the left hand side near the heal of your foot. Well I engaged it and it ran fine for 15 yards and then I heard some noises coming from it. I shutdown the motor immediately but only to find out it won't turn over now. Seems the fly wheel is locked. Any suggestions? I checked the manual thorughly and couldn't find anything about it.

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by mailtrain » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Scot;

I'll give it a shot, the diff lock shouldn't have any effect on the engine starting.
Possibility the starter is engaged to the flywheel. Locked up as you said. Try taking the starter off an see if it will engage outside the bell housing.

If it won't have it checked out. Check batteries, cable connection are notorious on the 440's.

Mailtrain

scotmanster
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by scotmanster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks mailtrain for the quick reply. Ha I just thought it was me with the notorious battery connection. Seems like twice a year I have to mess around with battery cables on it.

I did remove the starter yesterday and tested it sitting on the frame and it seemed to engage I will have to try turning the flywheel today with a long screwdriver. I was reading on another forum it could possibly be the disc plate behind the flywheel that is a weak point. sometimes it will break and lodge between the fly where. But checked the manual and didn't see any plates that could break off and jam in there.

I will keep ya posted and thanks for the help. Btw my Dad owns two old crawlers we used to get a chance to ride on them when I was 8 years old and I'm 37 now and still on heavy-equipment :P So yea I understand why you guys love crawlers. Will have to get some pics up of them. I think eventually we will be rebuilding them both.

scotmanster
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by scotmanster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 am

Another quick question.I am not able to turn the flywheel. Should the rear drive shaft turn when in nuetral postion or does that not effect if the flywheel shuould turn. Just trying simple things before having to pull the engine. Appreciate your feedback.

scotmanster
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by scotmanster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Well Mailtrain figured out why the flywheeel wouldn't turn numbers 2 piston decided to shatter on me. So guess I'm doing a rebuild.