Built like they used be!

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Built like they used be!

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:33 am

While the economy is down and companies have figured out how to survive by selling fewer new machines and parts than they ever imagined, I wish they would fire all of the "designed obsolecence" engineers they have on board and go back to building machines that last a long time.
If you don't think they spend hefty sums of money designing stuff that eats parts and fails, think again. It is just never in their fancy ads that they spend millions placing in from of us.
It is part of the reason that "extended warranties" are so popular when you purchase many items. They basically have it down to a science as to how many will belly up and how long something will last.
One of many examples of all of these marketing and engineering tricks is with heat pumps. I will leave off the names as I am not prepared to face a multi million dollar corp in court, but here are the facts. Most of the top brand named heat pumps have the same manufacturer for the heart of it, the compressor. One that is highly rated, highly advertised, also is basically the same "guts" of cheaper units that do not have all of the fancy ads. The biggest real difference is the skill levels of the local guys that install and service it.
One other rant, vinyl windows. Again, only a few actual manufacturers, but many "brands". One of the larger companies does not build any windows! They buy from the same company that you and I can buy from, and it is the same exact window. They tell you that theirs has "special effects" and "added features" but it absolutely does not unless you pay extra for them.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Draco
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Draco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 am

Trane comes to mind.... :roll:
Quit laughing...I think I broke something.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:12 am

Lawn mowers / snow blowers / rototillers majority are produced by MTD. People like Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Agway, and such buy MTD products and ask that colors, and shields be replaced to create their unique brand. This is nothing new, just more companies are embracing it.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Draco
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Draco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:19 am

Willyr wrote: This is nothing new, just more companies are embracing it.
Nothing lasts anymore. Seems like everything made is "throw away". When it breaks, just buy a new one.....I hate it. They all seem to say "Made in China" too. Bugs me...

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 am

I have a friend who was an engineer for Briggs and Stratton. He told me that the Chinese would buy their small engines, dissassmble them, and reverse engineer them to create their own. Thus you will notice that most Chinese-made small engines are patterned after either a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda.

The problem is that they are a little sloppy on their tolerances and their materials are not quite as strong. They also don't perform as rigorous QA/QC. That is why some engines will run fine and others won't work well after the first day.

You will notice the same issues with Chinese-made tools- they just don't have the tolerances and strength of American-made tools. That is why I buy most hand tools at old farm auctions.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:43 am

I have a Shiloh Sharps rifle....100% American made. Not just a statement. I know the owners and I've been through the factory. American wood, American steel, and American workers. Everything is done in their plant or some minor work farmed to others in the US. AND they don't cost more than the better Euros. :shock:

Getting harder to find :?
Gus

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:You will notice the same issues with Chinese-made tools- they just don't have the tolerances and strength of American-made tools
mmmm I have a wonderful Enco Lathe that changes its tollerances as you try to use it. Good for bushings and pins, but try to crank out a live steamer is a different story. I have some lovely scrap downstairs that are supposed to be cylinders were some how the boring bar cut the same cylinder one end, but the other I have 3 different paths and different angles (setup remained the same).
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Draco
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Draco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:32 pm

gus wrote:I have a Shiloh Sharps rifle....100% American made.
Gus
Gus, you are a lucky man to own an outstanding weapon. I've been drooling over them for a while now. That Sharps is on my list of gotta haves....Think I'm gonna have a custom built first though. (If this crawler doesn't break me :lol: )

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Part of the problem with todays equipment is the extras. But companies want the most in productivity and are willing to pay for it. They don't want to hire someone and let the learn, that cost em money. On the other side of the coin these dozer riders don't know when they are abusing it.....all they do is hit the power shift or shuttle and let the laser and GPS run it. Same with farmers. Thats why you see so much of the GPS autosteer systems. You got tractor riders who are only supposed to shut it down when something malfunctions. They are reading books and playing Game Boys.....they don't hear a noise and stop.....raido is playing too loud. First time they notice something is wrong is when the engine quits or the GPS loses signal and the tractor is in the ditch or pond.

Rick

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Hay Tigerhaze here is a good one for you .A friend of mine has a small motel in northern Australia.He rented a room several years ago to a Chinese business man no questions asked ,When this guy left the motel room was a hell of a mess and he even had to call a plumber in to of all things put the toilet back together .Seems the guy was sent out to find and blue print this specific Australian toilet .Several weeks later he was mailed a bank draft from China that payed more than the clean up costs.With it a letter of explanation as to why the mess and a phone number of the toilet manufacturing company.He called and said this is patented you know!.They just laughed.I told him to put that toilet up because there are all kinds of reproductions of it in China .Nothin is sacred in that country not even a craper patent !!!.Digitup .