Wish-full thinking...but Im gonna give it a try!

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Wish-full thinking...but Im gonna give it a try!

Post by Swawpy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 am

Just thought I would share this little science experiment and get some opinions and maybe help others out by passing it along.

A couple years ago I was introduced to using plain white vinegar as a de-ruster for small parts. I have since upgraded to a 2 gallon bucket with lid that I keep and use it quite a bit for different rusty parts or pieces, works great for different brackets and delicate parts and such. Hard to believe but it really works great! It really penetrates and the rust comes off almost like bubbles/flakes. I soak different parts for a few days to a few weeks...depending.

This brings me to my next idea...I acquired a second 2010 a couple days ago as a parts crawler for real cheap (thats makes 2 2010's in 2 weeks)...but of course the clutches are froze and it does not steer. I got the engine running very well and it has good brakes, trans shifts fine, 6 way blade, winch, etc- and after getting it cleaned up it seems just to nice to rob parts off of. I have already tried (rather aggresively) to break it free with no luck. I dont have the time to fix it proper right now and besides its kind of a toss up whether this one would be worth fixing or not, but if I could get her freed up...

Anyway- vinegar is on sale for $1.00 a gallon so I am gonna fill both clutch housings, let soak, and see what happens...why not huh? Maybe we'll find one hell of a blessing for stuck clutches...maybe not.

Laugh now but if you have never tried or heard of this give it try with a butter dish full and some rusty bolts- its pretty amazing! It just takes awhile. I guess its somewhat gentle to steel but it will clean every pit, pocket, and speck of rust if you give it enough time. I'm no chemist but there is definately some sort of molecular breakdown type of thing happening.

My plan is to fill the housings and let soak for two weeks. Then I will run it up solid against and into a rock ledge with the levers pulled back once a week. I will keep it full of vinegar and just keep trying once a week. Wish me luck and I will post back results whether it works or not.

Anybody have any input or experience with this? Thoughts??

Also if anybody happens to have a junk clutch disk laying around it would be great to gauge what happens after a soak; like does it swell, break down, turn to mush?

Thanks- I'll keep you all posted!

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:07 am

What little bit I know about dry clutches, any type of moisture or fluid ruins them. If you are just wanting to free the parts, it may be an answer.
But as soon as those fiber disk swell even a thousanth, they are trash. They will never shrink back to the original thickness.
This is an opinion, others may have different of better runs at this.
Good luck!
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:47 am

IF, and I say IF they happen to break free, you better spend many many hours on the seat until those clutches are good and hot to boil out any moisture. Given that they are junk anyway, I guess you are not out anything, can't hurt broken parts. :lol: If nothing else, it should really clean out the inside of the clutch housings, and might make the rusted bolts come out easier.
That does sound like too nice a crawler to bone out, guess you need to look for another parts machine. (hahha)
Lavoy

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am

Yea- like I said...Wishful thinking!!! but I,m gonna try. I have unstuck main clutches, brakes and others before...way more forgiving than .001" tolerances. This is not a restored showpiece...just trying to prolong its abusive life. I bought it for parts but if it steers- great, ill use it. Just trying something new! Thanks.