telemarketers

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

telemarketers

Post by townlineterry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Last month cellphone numbers were released to the public, they are now available to any slimeballs, excuse me, telemarketers. And as you know you get charged so they can harrass you.

The do not call list is 888-382-1222, it blocks your number for five years and you must call from the number you want blocked.

now if we had a do not mail list, I for one am sick of the aarp crap, I'm not ready to be an old fart.

Terry

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks for the #, I'll be calling in the morning to get on the do not harass list!

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am

Actually? This is a misknown scam built to scare anyone with a cell phone into letting the government collect valid numbers for unsollicited phone calls from non-profit companies. IE breast awareness and so on.

Your cell number will only be called if you give it out.

So if you call the above number or even if you contact www.donotcall.gov and register your number on the do not call. You are guaranteeing that during the next election or fundraiser for non profit companies, YOU WILL GET CALLED!

So in reality? Only give your cell # to the ones you want to get called from. But if your calling a company for product registration or product warranty? Your best bet is to tell the person at the other end of the call "I do not want my phone # or any of my personal info to be sold or re-used by any company other than your own".
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pammark » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

Reverse Logic

I similar thing will happen on e-mails. Do you ever get an e-mail with the notice, "respond here to unsubscribe"? By unsubscribing you actually verified the e-mail works. You might be pulled from their list, but since it is a valid e-mail address, it will get sold to others and the e-mails pile on. The best way is to just delete and move on. They will eventually stop since it is hitting a dead-end street.

For those of you with Internet sites, it is a nice feature to post an e-mail address and just click on it to send the e-mail. But this takes some HTML coding to get inserted. There are Internet robot programs out there that scan the programming looking for the HTML e-mail code. Once found they get sold on lists.

Here is a way to sidestep that. Type you e-mail address and take a picture of it as a jpeg or bit-mapped file. Now post the picture of the typed e-mail on the Internet web page and now the robot will see a picture file and move on. Let the customer retype the address on their e-mail on their own.
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

the other way to sidestep the email gather programs. instead of using the mailto:yuddayudda@balketyblank.com post your email yet tell the people to not click on the link. Instead you use the link feature of the mailto and insert some eroneous bit like mailto:(delete_this_part)yuddayudda@balketyblank.com

The collector is not smart enough to filter out the junk.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

roadbuilder
440 crawler
440 crawler

call block

Post by roadbuilder » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:39 am

1-382-1222 is the number our office gave us to block calls on our company cell phones. Had it over a year and not one marketeer or political call to my cell phone. However it doesnt seem to work with my land-line. Caller ID and my wife are the best call blockers. :lol:
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 am

WillyR,

Not sure if that is true or conspiracy, but if you can prove it, we have the largest class action law suit on record.

The bottom line is that you NEVER have to answer just because someone calls. The only people that do that are the ones that do not know scammers exist or they are so nosey that they just have to answer.

If I do not recognize the number, it goes to voice mail. If they leave one, I have the choice to return the call or not. If they do not leave a V M, it was not important enough for me to answer anyway.

Just remember that no credible company ever calls to "verify" info such as account numbers, credit card numbers, or your social security number.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

JD440ICD2006 wrote:If I do not recognize the number, it goes to voice mail. If they leave one, I have the choice to return the call or not. If they do not leave a V M, it was not important enough for me to answer anyway.
This is how I do it as well...

Rex
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Rex » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 pm

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Last time I got a call from "betty", some guy who didn't speak english so well with a mid E accent this is what I did..... :lol: :lol:

"you want to speak to who??"

"Yeah he's here but he's out in the shp, I'll get him on the line" at this point I put the phone right in front of my mouth and yelled "hey Joe, tell Jim he's wanted on the phone"

I set the phone down and continued working for several minutes while the fool waited. :lol: :lol:

I picked up the phone again and asked "did he get on the line...(NO), well let me get him" Same thing yelled in the phone again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worked another 5 min

"Did he get back to you? (no) well, I'll go out and get him" put the phone down and got a cup of coffee.

"I can't seem to locate him, Bill said he was coming in to answer the phone did you talk to him (no). Well he should be in any minute then just hold on.

By this time, he'd been holding for well over 15 min on his dime.

After another few minutes when I said something the guy said "wait, wait, here's my number, just have hime call me"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Most fun I had that day...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 am

Hi,

When calling cell phone numbers, they actually shoot themselves in the foot. The telemarketers outgoing phone numbers are configured as Data-type, so they will work with fax machines as well as voice phones and answering machines.

Well, the cell phones will indicate if an incoming call is Data-type (vs. Voice-type), and if it is just don't answer it. Hit the mute key to kill the ring tone, or the key to immediately send the call to Voice Mail. Since it's a Data-type call, your cell phone voice mail will not engage and the call winds up going - nowhere.

This feature tells you that the call is a telemarketer, and your letting the call go to nowhere tells them that this is a bad number. Eventually, your cell phone number will magically disappear from their lists.

I went one step further and programmed a ringtone with no sound to incoming Data calls. So, now when they come in, the display on the phone will show such, but the since the ringtone is silent, there's no sound from the phone. If I wasn't looking at the phone the moment the telemarketer call came in, I don't even know. Later on, I will see an entry in my call list for a missed incoming data phone - and smile!

Handy!

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 am

It is even more sopisticated than many may realize.
They load phone numbers in to an auto dailer. It calls the numbers, and then they review reports of info like time of call, if anyone answered, etc. They actually, in many cases, figure out the best time to catch someone at home.

The bottom line is that none of the banks or reputable companies are going to call your home with any kind of offer. So that eliminates many of the calls as known scammers after your info.
But the word is slow getting around, and there people that are so curious (maybe nosey) that they must answer to find out who it is.
I stick to my rule that has worked for years. If I do not know the number, they will leave a message with their return number if it is important. Then, I have the decison of returning the call.

I have yet to miss an important call using this procedure. :lol:
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I have an even better tip.

Take that little gadget with the little numbers and tiny screen on it and toss it in the nearest trash can, lake, fire or toilet and flush it. that will completly stop all of those agrivating calls, especially the ones from your wife! You will be amazed how free and peaceful you will feel.
Any time I have had to carry one almost every call is a total waste of time that has interupted me from getting something usefull done. I keep hearing how people need it for work, yea- I have listened(read- my face to face communication with the person getting the call was interupted by someone the person I was talking to who couldn't finish our conversation before talking to the other person on the phone) to many of those interuptions that accomplished nothing usually. If someone is trying to get hold of you to do a job they are usually willing to leave a message on an answering machine(I am).
I don't feel that I am so important that everyone must be able to contact me at any time and I definitely don't think that anyone else is so important that I must be at their beck and call.
It and this thing I am typing on are some of the biggest marketing extravaganzas in the world. I can't believe how easy it is to spend too much unproductive time on this thing, If I had to keep up with one of those electronic umbilical cords I wouldn't get anything done!!

I believe that I will start Electronics Anonamous, but how would I advertise if I didn't do it on the internet or TV or Radio or by ,god no,unsoliseted phone calls???

Just my opinion,
Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi,

The only way to mass advertise electronics anonymous is in the newspaper! :P

Oh. Wait. They're all electronic now, too.

How about painting the side of a barn?? ;)

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

CELSESSER wrote:I don't feel that I am so important that everyone must be able to contact me at any time and I definitely don't think that anyone else is so important that I must be at their beck and call.

Just my opinion,
Chuck
I agree with that- I get into some disagreements with friends and others because I don't check and respond to texts and voice mails on a real-time basis. I don't even have a text plan, which hurts me worse when people try and text me.

I remind them that I grew up without answering machines or e-mail, and that if I respond to a voice mail later that day or evening than I am going above and beyond.

Of course this wouldn't happen with my work, but in my personal life I think this approach is justifiable.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment