Someone asked, so here it is. The shop rebuild and addition.

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

A little update.

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 am

The weather has not been good to really work outside on the shop so I have been working on the heating system in the shop. I have a Weil-Mclain 68 oil fired boiler that I use to heat the shop with. It has been a good addition to the shop instead of burning wood to heat the shop. Well last spring it developed a leak in it, I ordered seals to rebuild it with and tore it down. It is a three section boiler that is held together with threaded rods and nuts.
I moved the boiler out of where it was setting and starting taking parts off of it. It took a few hours to get it down to pieces and to clean it up.
I then took inventory of the parts needed to start assembly of the boiler, I ordered new refractory for the fire box, new seals for the fire box and new seals for the clean out also. I am waiting on the parts to arrive. Once the parts are in I can start on the assembly of the boiler.
Seals for the boiler.
Boiler moved to open space to tear it down.
Burner and accessories removed.
Boiler Jacketing removed.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 am

Once I got the jacketing off I discovered that firebox seals on the left side were almost completely gone. This boiler is almost 18 years old and has never been rebuilt.
The jacketing.
The 1-1/2" supply nipple. I even managed to remove the it without damaging it.
Rear section of the boiler after cleaning.
Middle and front sections after cleaning.
I still need to remove that last of the buildup from the combustion process. I am debating how to do so, either with my sandblaster or a wire wheel on my angle grinder. Also the deposits that have built up over the years in the water jackets need to be cleaned out also. I will probably add boiler flush and let the boiler run for a few hours after I get it installed with the flush in it. Then flush the system with clean water to remove the chemicals and then fill the system with boiler safe antifreeze.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am

The boiler rebuild is almost done, but it has been sidelined for the remodel for the construction of the "new" boiler room and fuel tank room. Since the boiler had been in the shop area that I am turning into the machine room I had to find a new place for the boiler. To do this I moved the fuel tank to the smaller side of the area. I had to build new walls to enclose the tank. The old tank room was stripped down to the bare walls and the new chimney was started.
New tank room.
Another view.
Chimney almost done
The thimble for the chimney is done and installed, the chimney lacks in the photo and the end needed close in. The rain cap is being built and the plate has been installed.
Today I hope to have the chimney installed.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for posting this- although I can't see the photos now because my work blocks them, I plan to review closely as I am planning my shop right now.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Some more pictures.

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:30 am

Tigerhaze, be ready to modify your design about twenty times before you settle on one you are happy with. When I was planning a brand new shop I could not come up with a plan I was really happy with that meet the local zoning requirements. When I switched to the addition and remodel of the existing shop I had to decide to live with the garage doors out of sight of the house. This new plan meets the zoning requirements with one variance, the total sq/ft of space, which the zoning board does not have to approve. The zoning officer can approve it.
Old fuel tank I am going to cut the plate for the thimble out of.
The plate with the hole cut into it. All cutting was done with an angle grinder and a wafer wheel.
The coupon from the hole will be used to close the bottom of the chimneys riser.
The chimney support tabs welded on.
The radiation ring welded on.
The thimble installed.
Exterior view.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 am

More photos.
The bottom plate ready to weld on.
The plate welded on and the insertion depth marked.
Rain cap welded on.
Today I am hoping to get the chimney erected, braced and ready to use.
One more note the boilers sections have been assembled and they passed pressure testing. It looks like I should have heat in the shop by the end of the week.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

The chimney is up.

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

The chimney is done and the boiler set in place.
I still need to put the jacketing on the boiler and get the rest of the piping done.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Getting there.

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 am

I have started the manifold piping of the boiler.
Jacketing on the boiler.
I have started the manifold piping, it is a lot farther along then the photos show. I still might get to have heat in the shop this weekend.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 am

You do know that the plate you made for through the wall is available from Metalsbestos? I think its like $50?
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 am

Willyr wrote:You do know that the plate you made for through the wall is available from Metalsbestos? I think its like $50?
Willy, yes I knew I could get one but the problem was that I would have had to order it and wait on delivery, one to three weeks was the time frame for it. So I built my own.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Getting closer to firing the boiler.

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 am

A few photos.

The piping in the "new" boiler room is almost complete, I still need to modify the piping on the back of the FCU (fan coil unit) to accept the Pex tubing and run the fuel line to the burner once I am ready to fire this unit.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Update.....

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:06 am

The boiler rebuild is finished and I have heat in the shop again. The new chimney is working great, the boiler is cycling fine and the pex tubing is holding with zero leaks. :D The old chimney will come down when we get an nice warm day here, so I can patch the roof.
I still need to run a dedicated electrical circuit to the boiler and move the thermostat but those are not immediate problems I can work in the in the warm again.
Now I can get a couple of other projects out of the way so I can rebuild the last part of the footing so I can pour the floor in the "new" machine area of the shop.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 pm

I have to admit, you will have no worries of a chimney fire.

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 am

Well I have spent the last two days doing some figuring on the floor plan for the work bay section of the shop. In the original plan of the shop I was just going to have two bays, one for projects and one for automotive repair. But that leaves me with a problem of where to park the lawn tractors, crawler and the Chevelle.
The total length of the work bay addition would be 38' with a width of 30', the project bay would end up being 26' x 30' with a post in the middle of it, or both bays would be 19' X 30' being that the automotive bay would not be need as much as the project bay that seemed to me to be a little wasteful of space. So I came up with a new plan for the work bay area.
I am going to make it into three bays, the first bay from the machine area would be the projects bay(14' X 30'), the second bay(12' X 30') would be for automotive repairs and the third bay(12' X 30') would be for storage of the Chevelle, the lawn and garden equipment and the crawler.
The third bay will be enclosed with an enclosed loft above it for storage of inventory. The Chevelle would have it own enclosed area to keep welding smoke and grinding dust from getting all over it. The automotive bay would be used to store the Cadtrac and the Super-H when it is not needed for actual automotive work.
This would effectively double my storage space with the loft over the machine area and mechanical room being 12' X 30'
I have been researching wooden I-beam joists to use instead of dimensional lumber for the loft floor joists and the roof rafters. I have a request in for pricing on them both. We will see how the prices shake out.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

When I built this garage in 2004, we used "J" wood. The garage is 24' wide free span. The wood is 18" tall. We tested it when we first built it, had 20 people upstairs and had them all ( my wife and I included ) jump at the same time. Floor would not move even with repeated uniform (jumping at same time).