Nelson Muffler Company?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Nelson Muffler Company?

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

I have an older Bobcat (Model 630) that is from the late 70s/early 80s. The muffler on the Wisconsin VH4D has rusted out and I need to get a new one- the problem is Bobcat wants almost $400 for a replacement and it's not even stainless steel! It is a spark arrestor model but I really don't need that since I don't operate in national or state forests. The manufacturer of the original muffler was Nelson Muffler Company.

Does anyone on here know anything about Nelson Muffler Company such as if the company still exists, if there is a manufacturer cross reference list, etc? I did find some basic dimensions info online but still cannot find anyone making the replacement, other than Bobcat. I would like to avoid that if possible due to the cost.

I can get the muffler model number tonight if that would help. Thanks in advance.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Any chance you can just make your own? There's not much to one, just perforated pipe inside bigger pipe with ends welded on. :wink:

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 am

We have made several resinator's for our 21B Allis Dozers as they were 5 inch straight piped from the turbo to the stack .The local welding shop had some stainless steel left from his beer vats in Molsons Brewery's so we made them to last but the trick is to keep flow just make the exhaust bounce off several flat plates and not flow straight through .Just make sure there are enough plates that the exhaust flow is left but all exhaust has several impact points .There you have a noise resinator and very little power loss. .Digitup.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 am

Those are good ideas and am pursuing the idea of having a custom exhaust made- however I haven't found a local muffler shop yet that will take that on. I don't have the welding capabilities personally. if anyone knows of a shop in the KCMO area that would fabrciate something like this, please let me know.

The muffler setup is a little different on my 630- there is an odd flange that leads from the manifold up into the muffler and the exhaust outlet is offset on the other end of the muffler and angled out the door. Luckily I still have most of the old muffler so they would have something to go off of and maybe they could salvage the flange.

Thanks for the responses.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 am

digitup2 wrote:We have made several resinator's for our 21B Allis Dozers as they were 5 inch straight piped from the turbo to the stack .The local welding shop had some stainless steel left from his beer vats in Molsons Brewery's so we made them to last but the trick is to keep flow just make the exhaust bounce off several flat plates and not flow straight through .Just make sure there are enough plates that the exhaust flow is left but all exhaust has several impact points .There you have a noise resinator and very little power loss. .Digitup.
Molson's brewrie ?? are you located close to me ????
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 pm

London Ontario plant is not too far away from me Yes we ended up getting five vats from there they were loaded onto our float .I wanted the brass vats but they were crushed so I had to scrap them .There was a plant in Barrie Ont as well but that was closed down ten years ago what happened there was some idiot grew the five leafed stuff in the vats so they now have have to crush them .But scrap brass is worth a decent buck and Molsons paid to crush the stuff What do you do !!.Digitup.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 pm

go to a parts store and ask for a "cherry bomb" muffler. Short glass packed mufflers. easy to incorporate to anything.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

I don't know if you fixed your muffler issue. Here's a link for donaldson products. They cross reference all filters, sells mufflers and piping. Maybe you'll find something usefull there. Parts are availaible through your local Caterpillar dealer or truck parts shops.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/sup ... index.html
440IC 1958 #443712, 602 blade, Gearmatic winch project in the back
440IC, serial tag gone, Blade with tilt
-------------------------------------------------------

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for all of the replies.

I searched a number of vendors, including Donaldson but had no luck finding my application. I also talked to a number of "custom" muffler shops in my area but they were not willing to make a custom muffler and wanted me to bring in the machine to fabricate resonator pipe.

I was spending too much time trying to track this down- finally bit the bullet on this and $400 later purchased the factory spark arresting muffler from Bobcat. Stamped right on the muffler is the Fleetguard model number, so if anyone ever has this issue and wants to track down a replacement from them let me know.

About the only upside besides an exact fit is that I am back in business with the Bobcat and don't have to worry about a spark from the muffler starting a brush fire. :D

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Use a glasspack and stick a SuperTrapp spark arrestor on the end.
1955 John Deere 40C 4-roller