Walleye fishing was hot tonight

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Walleye fishing was hot tonight

Post by Scottyb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

We got out for a couple hours of walleye fishing tonight and they were on our bait like crazy. It stays light out now until 10pm so we did not go out until almost 8.
The best breakfast at our cabin is fried walleye and eggs

How is the fishing everywhere else this time of year?
Scott
Last edited by Scottyb on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

johnHD
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by johnHD » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 am

doing well with the brook trout here!

john

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:55 am

We are pretty much into our summertime pattern now in the Midwest- best fishing was the last couple of months but nighttime fishing will get better now.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am

I am not a fisherman, but neighbor told me last night that someone caugth a 31" Walleye just south of me a few miles.
Lavoy

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Lavoy, most of the walleye we catch are 16 to 20 inches and about 1.5 to 3.5 lbs. Depending on the type of lake a 31 inch fish would be approximately 12 lbs!
We do have two lakes within 2 hours of home that produce large walleye like that one, both
man made lakes from dams built on the north and south Saskatchewan rivers. Lake Diefenbaker on the South Saskatchewan and Tobin Lake on the North Saskatchewan River.

That is still a once in a long time big Walleye!

We have hundreds of natural lakes here, in the south half of our province prairie pothole lakes usually not that deep with some good fishing for pike, perch and walleye. The north half of Saskatchewan is all rock and water with thousands of clear lakes with the same fish but add lake trout and whitefish. Further north yet and artic grayling are in the rivers.
The Walleye have just finished the spawn and this is the best fishing for them all year. Lasts about 3 weeks then it is summer fishing and it can be great or not, weather makes a big difference in the summer. Bad weather is usually better but lousy for boating..

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pammark » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 am

I fish like my dad taught me. Sit on the water edge with feet in water. Beer in one hand, brat sandwich in the other and screw the fish.

Here are some fish jokes though;

An old man would go fishing and always catch his quota day after day. The Game Warden thought something must be wrong and decided to dress in pain clothes and meet the man with the ways. So he met him at the dock and struck up a conversation. He was invited to go fishing with him, so he thought this would be the best ever, catch him in the act. They set out on the boat and trolled out to a remote bay of the lake. The old man opened the cooler setting next to him and pulled out a stick of dynamite, lit it, tossed it in the water (BOOM) and collected the fish as they floated to the top. The Warden presented his badge and started to arrest the old man for illegal fishing practices. The old man calmly reached for another stick of dynamite, lit it, tossed it into the lap of the Warden and said, “are we going to fish or talk?”

This young kid was ice fishing and catching fish right and left. The two old farts nearby were wondering what he was doing right, their catch was zero. So they asked the boy, and he mumbled "Hmmmmnmn". Did you understand that? They asked him again and he mumbled back "Hmmnmmn". Speak up boy, we can't understand you. The boy spit out his wad and said, "You have to keep the worms warm."

The same two men were wondering why the other kid was catching a bunch of fish, and he didn't even have a fishing pole. He had a can of peas and a pop bottle. They asked him what the trick was. The kid said, "I lay the peas in a circle around the hole. When a fish comes to take a pea, I whoop him in the head with the pop bottle and kick him in the ice hole."

Mark
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader