What can I expect from a 420C?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
mulligan
40C crawler
40C crawler

What can I expect from a 420C?

Post by mulligan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:00 pm

How much work can these little guys do?

I've been assesing the crawler and trying to see how far I will go with the repairs.

I bought this machine with the intentions of basically landscaping around the farm. Things like grading the slope off the ditch so I can more easily mow the grass, level out lawn around the buildings, clean up an old fence line, and back fill the foundation from a house I plan on removing.

Our soil is about 10-12" deep and below that there is shale stone. No hard rock what so ever.
1957 420C 5 spd with reverser

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:54 pm

It really depends on the soil. Here at my place, 420 would have a hard time even getting through the black dirt. 50 miles away at the farm, whole different story.
Either way, it will do more than you will want to do with a shovel, and while it might be slow depending on what you are doing, beats doing it by hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: What can I expect from a 420C?

Post by oldtanker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 am

mulligan wrote:How much work can these little guys do?

I've been assesing the crawler and trying to see how far I will go with the repairs.

I bought this machine with the intentions of basically landscaping around the farm. Things like grading the slope off the ditch so I can more easily mow the grass, level out lawn around the buildings, clean up an old fence line, and back fill the foundation from a house I plan on removing.

Our soil is about 10-12" deep and below that there is shale stone. No hard rock what so ever.
It's an old dozer. If it's fair shape and you work slow it can move an amazing amout of dirt. I had an old M400 Bobcat. 12.5 hp. 1st 4x4 one they built. Was slow but it would move a lot of dirt if you took it easy. You may have to run something through there to bust it up a little if you have heavy or hard soil.

Rick

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 am

i think you'll get more out of it than you think.
years ago we had a 420 that was a mini monster.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry: