Ammo

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Ammo

Post by Pat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 am

Any other areas in these great United States having trouble finding ammo? And guns? Shelves seem to be bare here in eastern NC, down to and including .22

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:36 am

Its nation wide the media caused such a scare everyone stocked up. It will slowly come back, but as always expect higher prices. :cry:
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 am

As a having a small rifle collection my self I get a kick out of the BS and twisted angles the media throws around They don't know sheep shit from cherry pits as I have seen reports on our Canadian gun laws working wonders and being so great these were and are still a crock of shit up untill six months ago and got changed a bit!. They[both sides of the boarder] all want to stick there heads in the sand and never hit the real problem head on called {when idiot meets gun} this is the real problem but the easiest political way around this is punish the gun owner and his gun .this is the stick your head in the sand and hope your ass don't get kicked fix and it didn't work up here in Canada ah !!So I don't think it will work south of us either .My wife didn't fill in all the question and answer part of the form {I think she left out two answers because she just didn't understand the question being asked}So the powers that be told my local police force to come confiscate my fire arms Well the local police chief living several houses down the street told the powers that be to collect them them selves and got my wife copy of her portion of the form and went over it with her and sent it in before the troops were organized to converge on my little legal stash of fire arms .Getting all t's crossed and i's dotted every thing was well in long arms la la land again or I would have lost my fire arms for good What a crock of shit .When the long arms registry was off we had a gun swapping party in my town so the long arms registry in this area will never be usable again .Just watch they don't try to make it illegal to own fire arms or bring the law down on the hunters and marksmen of the country that was what we got fed and I am glad that is over Good luck I here people talking down there but don't believe they will take the guns from the right guys politicians aren't that dam smart .This is just my view but remember this cost us 4.7 billion dollars for this no good bag of garbage and our southern neighbor's are 11 times the population for that coin ratio you could end hunger for the third world easier and that would put a lot of AKA's out of work .Digitup.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:59 am

Only certain calibers hard to find here, you need to be there when the shipment comes in, and buy what you need.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Surprised that you dont get it online.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Most of my shooting is large black powder cartridge rifles. I have near a ton of lead stashed (bought when it was .25/lb), black powder is still easy to get, I stocked up on primers long ago. I roll my own in all cals and also stocked up for all of them a long time ago (12 yrs) when a big sporting goods store closed and prices were dirt cheap (compared to now). I might need some smokeless powder in a couple years or so but by then it should be back in quantity.

The only thing I might be low on is 22's and they are around and still fairly easy to get. The price is double what I used to pay. Prices were just getting back to reasonable when the election hit. Should have grabbed a brick or two then.

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 am

Willyr, my online suppliers such as Midway, Brownells, etc. , show out of stock on the popular stuff like .223, 7.62, o6 and even .22. I think all gun and ammo dealers would agree that Obama should get the "salesman of the decade" award!!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 am

The only online dealer that I know of with ammo has increased his price on .223 from about $400/1000 to about $1000/1000. The online dealers are just as sold out or more so than the local retailers.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am

I have gone to a number of gun shows and auctions since Sandy Hook and it is unbelievable how quickly popular calibers sell out, and how much they sell for. You can forget buying .223, 9mm, or .40 unless you are the first one in the door, and many other calibers such as 7.62x39mm sell out quickly as well. There are people literally buying truckloads of the stuff.

Our local stores are practically sold out of .22LR which makes no sense to me. Bricks of .22LR go for big bucks at gun auctions now. Unfortunately .22LR is rimfire so can't reload like other centerfire calibers.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:46 am

This is just another panic buy period. Same as last election and or mass shooting. After the dust settles and the market is saturated, the prices will come back down.

DON'T let it happen to you again... When it does come down, buy what you need and for the future. I can shoot for a long time on what's in the closet!! :wink:

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37 pm

nothing on the shelves here except field load shot shells at 20bucks a box,
20 ga, was avail. as well, the only rimfire stuff was the very high dollar special loads,
everything else was gone including guns.
next will be swords,
then spoons because we all know spoons made rosie odonnel fat.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 pm

LMAO at Rosie...lol Its frustrating there isnt any reloading supplies out there..they will restock when the dust settles.. but as always the prices will come down but never as low.Seems to be the trend,,Every time it goes up the dealers know how much demand there is and go for some extra profit I am impressed that when walmart does have some they are staying with the normal
price instead of gaffing.. but the supplies go fast..I am going to hoard my spoons now :lol:
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:21 am

The short-term concern for me is supply rather than prices- you can't buy what is out of stock. It will take some time for production to catch up with the backorders and DHS putting in a 1Billion round order on service rounds won't help that. Eventually supply will catch back up but it may mean no or little shooting in the meantime. I'm actually good on most calibers myself but I am almost out of .22LR which I shoot the most so a little concern for me.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Paul Koski
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Paul Koski » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 pm

For what it is worth I will add my 2 cents worth.
I have heard through the grapevine, (don't quote me) that the border patrol and other groups are buying up all of the ammo, since they can't take away our firearms they will just take away our ammo. Does that make any sense to anyone? I have also heard that powder is also hard to get for reloading your own ammo.

Again don't quote me on any of this.
Give a man a fish and he will work another day, teach a man to fish and he may never work again!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 pm

While they may be buying ammo, it is virtually impossible for them to buy up all the ammo. It is simplly a supply and demand issue, there is just too much demand, and not enough supply.
When we were looking at expansion plans for our range, we toured the ATK (Federal) ammunition plant in the Minneapolis area to look at their rifle tubes. At that time, they were running 24/7/365. There was no room for expansion, and no more hours could be worked, therefore, it was simply impossible for them to increase production without building another plant altogether, and that is highly unlikely.
Powder is the same thing, too much demand.
Lavoy