Question for Alaska members

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question for Alaska members

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Okay, dumb question time. We are looking at taking a family vacation to Alaska in late July, cruise and some shore time on our own. Probably end up in Seward off the boat, and then maybe spend a couple days driving around. Any ideas or suggestions of what to see or not to see?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

miltturk
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by miltturk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm

A few days is not much time to see Alaska. It's too big. In Seward is the Sealife Center. It's mainly a research and rehab facility but they do have interesting displays. Exit Glacier is just out of town. You can actually walk right up to the glacier. There are a lot of tour boats to see Kenai Fjords National Park, although you may be tired of boats by then. For a scenic drive head to Homer. Part of the trip is designated National Scenic Highway. If you are into fishing, just about any where on the Kenai Peninsula is good. Kenai River is world famous. Homer is well known for halibut. I'm assuming you are flying out of Anchorage to return home. Seward is about 130 miles to Anchorage and Homer is 225. All two lane roads. No freeways until Anchorage so no high speed travel. Takes about 4.5 to 5 hours from Homer. Homer is unique with a 4 mile spit into Kackemak Bay. There is white water rafting in Cooper Landing, which is on the way to Homer from Seward. Google for Kenai Peninsula, Seward, Soldotna, Kenai, Homer. Any questions you can Email me. Milt

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 am

Milt,
Correct, I think we fly out of anchorage. Had planned on going to Homer, heard there is a good restaurant on the spit that people go to.
Lavoy

kedorland
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by kedorland » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Have a good time Lavoy.

Kevin.
1975 450C. 1977 450CA loader, with winch and log arch. Is true..tracked equipment is addicting.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

I hope so, still don't have plans set in stone, but gaining I think. Can't go til late July now for the best deals.
Lavoy

miltturk
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by miltturk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 am

Some more info. Seward is an old town. Been around as a city for about 100 years, so some historical stuff there. On the way to Anchorage, as a side trip, is the town of Hope. Old gold mining town from the gold rush days. As far as resturants in Homer, there are lots, from McDonalds on up. Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, fish and chips, sandwich shops, steak houses, family style, burger joints. Many specialize in local seafood. Most are locally owned. The only other chain one is Subway. One I can recommend is The Homestead. Not on the spit, but 8 miles out East Road. Dinner only. Across the street is Fritz Creek General Store. Good food for lunch. I haven't been in most of them so can't personally vouch for them. ( I live in Homer).

Milt

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am

Great info, thanks. I don't mind driving, so we were thinking of driving to Homer and Anchorage and points in between.
Lavoy