water pump rebuild kits

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
jdlou
40C crawler
40C crawler

water pump rebuild kits

Post by jdlou » Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello All!!!! :D
I just had an interesting time rebuilding my John Deere 2240 utility tractor water pump. About a year and a half ago, I had my local JD dealer rebuild my water pump. Well about a month ago I heard stange noises coming from the front and I shut the motor off. :? Look around, found that the fan blades would wiggle so I ordered a rebuild kit from my local JD dealer. It came so off came the pump. When I pressed the old bearing out I noticed no rubber washer or the ceramic washer on the old shaft. :x I took my new kit and set the pieces out on my work table and you guessed it----no rubber washer or ceramic. :cry: So I called my dealer, talked to the parts man, he looked up the kit number and the number changed. He had another kit at the dealership, he opened----no rubber or ceramic!!!! :? So he did some detective work and found out the newer 5000 series tractors do not use the rubber or ceramic, but the older tractors do!!! So I bought the rubber and ceramic and pressed into placed. Moral of the story: Do buy your service manuals, and I even like the parts catalog to have in my shop. I have a 350B and it looks basically like my 2240 utility water pump.
If you guys need a good Father's Day present, here is my suggestion. Tired Iron videos have a CD New Generation Engine Restoration. The man in the video shows you how to do a lot of the things what is talked about on this forum. That is how I learned how to do a water pump rebuild. Lavoy if I stepped on your toes I am trully sorry. If you have a video on crawler rebuilds let us know!! I am always interested in learning from someone who knows what they are doing. Keep up the good work guys!!! I love this site!!! Lou :D
:)jdlou(:

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat May 25, 2013 6:31 pm

if you had your JD dealer do the rebuild a year and half ago and there was no seal in it i hope you had some words with the service manger :x :x
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 pm

There should have been a seal in it like jtrichard says or that was the first problem I had a service man crush the plastic bushing when installing the shaft not once but twice .We now do this job our selves But what I like about Deere water pumps is you can rebuild them over and over again .I would look into that I just did a 550J water pump and it had a bushing with it I know there is no other way to keep the 13 to 15 lbs pressure and heat in except the bearing seal and that won't last long . Digitup.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 am

digitup2 wrote:There should have been a seal in it like jtrichard says or that was the first problem I had a service man crush the plastic bushing when installing the shaft not once but twice .We now do this job our selves But what I like about Deere water pumps is you can rebuild them over and over again .I would look into that I just did a 550J water pump and it had a bushing with it I know there is no other way to keep the 13 to 15 lbs pressure and heat in except the bearing seal and that won't last long . Digitup.
Digitup
Is there a kit to rebuild the water pump? I believe I may have to rebuild mine at some point in the near future.
450C Track Loader
291457T

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Yes now Lavoy should have a kit and see if it includes the seal? see what his price is as well .Digitup.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:03 am

Thank you, I PM'd Lavoy, I need to get a casting number off the pump housing. I will use a mirror and see if I can see some sort of casting number off it.

D
450C Track Loader
291457T