Wood Pellets in a wood stove

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

Wood Pellets in a wood stove

Post by steamfitter99 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Anyone burning wood pellets in their woodstove? I have been for 2 years and was wondering if any else has been. Thanks, Tom.

Paul45
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Paul45 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Hello Tom, It would be a lot cheaper to burn wood. I am wondering why you switched ? Do you get the pellets real cheap? Paul
thanks Paul

350 track loader, 350 dozer

steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pellets

Post by steamfitter99 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Paul, it is not really cheaper no, but a lot more convenient. I burn 1 1/2 bags a day when we are home and it heats the house nicely to 72 or so. Stove is centrally located and I have an open stairwell that lets the heat go upstairs, 2000 square foot house. I buy the pellets on sale at Menards. The oak timber that I used to cut at is now a subdivision. I also got trees from the local city, but all of the good wood is usually picked up by the local firewood sellers. I have burned mountains of box elder, pine, and soft maple. I build an expanded metal tray, fill it light it and let it burn. It burns like coal, you have to keep it stoked. I have a Federal stove with a catalytic combustor. The biggest advantage is no ash really, maybe a coffee cup a day. I do miss going out and cutting in the woods, but with propane at 2 dollars a gallon here this works out very well for me. Thanks, Tom.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm

I built an expanded metal tray
Tom: Could you post a picture or elaborate on this tray? I use a wood gassification boiler to heat my ~3000 sq ft. house which has a storage tank, a radiant slab, and some baseboard fin tubing. I burn about 3/4 of a cord of seasoned hardwood per month which works well for me priceand labor wise, but I'm thinking that in the future using pellets may be appealing. About how many pounds or BTUs are in a bag of pellets?
Thanks, the other Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch