Anyone come up with a better way to get snow off the roof?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Just tell the wife to get you a beer first then get up on the roof and shovel it off... Holler when she's done and you'll put the ladder back up for her. Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
Gus: We have his and hers roof rakes and we share the beer; sometimes most of a six pack of 22 oz home brews 8)
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:52 am

Lu47Dan wrote:Go to steel roofing and than slam a door hard :D :twisted:
Dan.
That's the best thing for snow, too slippery for the stuff to hang around very long unless the slope is shallow. Standard shop roof is 3/12 pitch and stubborn snow might stick, my house is about 3.5/12 and the snow hangs out for a couple days then flows off, I'd imagine anything steeper than 4/12 will be impossible for snow to hang on to.

Unfortunately it also becomes lethal to walk on!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Go to steel roofing and than slam a door hard
Yep, I"ve seen that work too - just make sure you're heading in rather than out. :wink:
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 pm

That's the best thing for snow, too slippery for the stuff to hang around very long unless the slope is shallow. Standard shop roof is 3/12 pitch and stubborn snow might stick, my house is about 3.5/12 and the snow hangs out for a couple days then flows off, I'd imagine anything steeper than 4/12 will be impossible for snow to hang on to.

Unfortunately it also becomes lethal to walk on![/quote]

Nope, my roof is steel, 5/12 pitch and the snow slides off slowly making a huge curl which I bust off. That's a lot of weight on the eaves which in the front is a 6' overhang. I've not found a good way to get rid of it yet and it's too steep to walk on. Normally not a problem but every few years we'll get 2' of fairly heavy wet snow.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

We live in the snow belt of Ontario and have several of the electric portable storms that are pictured I have one steel roof that has little pitch so it is the most snow collecting roof that I have just enough slope for self cleaning if I get heat in the attic of that side it will take several hours of warmer temps to get things too move but when it goes the hole house shakes after several roof cleanings we got an other foot or so of snow and I found Scott and several of his friends tobogganing off the top peek of the house hitting the snow pile at the ground that was just the right angle for the toboggan to continue into the back yard at a high rate of speed I had to kind of stop that as the toboggan was hitting the screws and loosening them He has since grown out of that but this winter you could drive the snowmobile up that roof right now (No giving him any ideas OK) .Digitup. .

waterman28
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Anyone come up with a better way to get snow off the roo

Post by waterman28 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Scottyb wrote:I have been standing in the bucket of my 350b loader to reach the top of this roof. It works but...I need a better way, I have lots of roof !

look up the avalanche roof rake on youtube. Ibuilt one and it is the best system I have used. Really fast and was easy to build.
JD 1010 Crawler
Ferguson TO 30
Case 580C
996 David Brown