JD60 2 cyl power steering

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Help desired JD60 power steering doesnot come back to life.
Iam addressing issues with this tractor, currently installing new radiator.
To accomplish front (grill) and top fairings removed to include the fuel tank.
Steering wheel and shaft removed.. With pressure hose, left and right turn pressure tubes disconnected, removed steering worm housing, steering valve and flow control as a assembly from the pedestal. Front wheels nor worm housing steering shaft input (valve actuating sleeve) was reinstalled in the same position as removed..

After completing and serving the reservoir starting and operating the tractor for 1 hour..Shutting down with steering wheel turned and held in the extreme left and right turn. I still have no power steering and are out of ideas..
Service manual 2016 for this power steering tractor is not helping. It acts like the steering valve for right and left turn is not being actuated, however I did not have that housing apart.. Yes power steering did work before starting this project. Is there anyone that can help..
Gerald 570-689-9305
flyem up digem up

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm

My first guess is did everything bleed the air out when refilled with oil?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:34 am

Thank you for responding..not sure that I should continue this link because time for others is precious.. Yes this servicing and bleeding process has been going on for about 3 weeks, while parked in the extreme turned position and held with a rope on the steering burbing air amounted to about a cup of fluid every two days..Fluid used is 5606 aviation hydraulic. While eng running I broke torque and backed off both right and left pressure tubes were they attach to the steering cylinder, fluid observed but do not appear under pressure.
Using the manual I maybe missing something-my question is. When I removed the worm housing, control valve and flow control as an assembly held and reinstalled in that position. How can the control valve, drive arm and positioning sleeve loose timing, meaning why in the world this will not work..
At this point I have two choices. 1. continue bleeding or 2. remove the worm and control housings for rechecking..
flyem up digem up

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 am

Been a long time since I worked on one, and didn't get that deep.
If you are getting flow from the pump, are you getting pressure, as in a bypass stuck open or something like that?
Lavoy

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:42 am

Yes last week I tied into the pressure hose fitting at the flow control valve to determine fluid flow (so as to make sure I would not be damaging the pump) I did have good flow, however I did not install a pressure gauge. Might be one of my next steps..This morning I took the screw cap (cover) off the front
of the control valve, the spool valve looks like it is all the way ahead..Working alone I turned the steering wheel to the right and observed no rearward movement in the valve, with brother next door maybe we can make better results..I will keep working, it is not dedicated to anything except good yard art.. Two 2010 crawlers still running and one parts machine. thank you for writing.
flyem up digem up

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Well last week I "tee'd" into the pressure hose at the control valve and had flow from a garden hose (brother saw it). Now I "tee'd in with a gauge" and no indication of pressure at a fast idle. first gauge increment is 25 psi, should be a minimum of 130 psi with a closed flow control valve. If this proves to be the pump I will be heart broken, cause everything is painted and back together with new radiator and stuff.
If I reinstall a "tee'd in over board garden hose, and let a couple of quarts run over board in a pail should eliminate all air between the reservoir and pump. After which to eliminate air in the rest of the system, I have no problem running the tractor since it is basically yard art.
thank you for reading my rambling,
flyem up digem up

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Closed valve is if you are turning the steering wheel, correct?
Lavoy

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm

More info, I removed pressure gauge and installed a shut valve with garden hose attached..Eng running pump is recirculating nearly 4gallons per minute..
Put the end of the garden hose in reservoir fill port and continued to run the eng. no air or foaming, solid flow for about 5 minutes.
I have concluded the control valve is not being actuated (moved) by the actuating sleeve when the steering wheel is moved..However I do not know why. More over I am baffled as to what went wrong when all I did was remove the worm, control, and flow valve housings off as a unit and reinstalled in the same orientation..
Well thats all for this week maybe I can fix or break next week.. Thank you
flyem up digem up

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Sorry I did not notice your flow control valve open closed position question prior to posting my more info ramble..
The flow control valve is were the pressure hose attaches coming from the pump. Used to maintain some pressure (adjusted to 130 psi at fast idle) WHEN THE CONTROL VALVE IS IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION (open to reservoir) that is when the steering wheel is not moved left or right. This flow valve is spring loaded closed at pressures lower than 130 psi. When steering wheel is moved left or right the actuating sleeve moves the control valve to port pressure to the respective tube (to assisst in the right or left turn) via the helical slot in the actuating sleeve and since there is no were for the fluid to go pressure is built up to 1200psi to assisst in turning via cylinder in the bottom of the pedestal..I hope this is helpful..
In my case for some reason during removal/reinstallation lost steering wheel control of the actuating sleeve..TBD to be determined..
flyem up digem up

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 am

I think you are correct in that the problem is in the control valve.
Lavoy

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by CHA011 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Not finished but I am getting (indication of) results. I will try to answer all questions/statements and leave our conversation complete.. This is my first power steering learning maintenance,, so much could be added..
Our question of control valve (spool valve) movement (forward and aft) activated by the actuating sleeve (steering wheel shaft input) is a bit inaccurate confirmed by a John Deerer salvager/rebuilder... This spool valve is designed to move only about 1/16 inch total. The spool valve land width,s are as wide as the left & right turning tube ports and is controlling the fluid pressure a crossed the edge of each land (paper thickness movements), this is why finial adjustment to left and right turn forces needed at the steering wheel is adjusted by loosening the mounting bolts a taping the housing fore and aft (the distance of a sloopy bolt hole) ever so slightly to accomplish your turning desire..
Problem flow control valve had stuck off its seat and most, all, hydraulic fluid was routed back into the reservoir. I have finial adjustments and pessure readings to take, atleast I am having results..
Again thank you for your time and have happy crawling..
flyem up digem up