My new to me milling machines.

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

My new to me milling machines.

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun May 01, 2011 7:58 am

I recently fall into a deal on a Boyar-Schultz 6-12 surface grinder, and two mills, a Bridgeport M-head and Kondia FV-1 Powermill, that I could not pass up.
I brought the Boyar-Schultz home last weekend and the two mills yesterday. The deal came with a lot of stuff that I will inventory today.
The front base is the Bridgeport and the rear one is the Kondia. I had to take them apart to get them loaded and to get the Kondia through the rear door to my shop.
Bridgeport M-head.
Boyar-Schultz 6-12 grinder.
As with most things old they all need a little work, the grinder needs the traverse shaft rebuilt, the M-head need cleaning and rewired, and the Kondia needs feed motor controls installed.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

MADJACK
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MADJACK » Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

nice score!

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Update.

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 am

The M-head mill and surface grinder are both now up and running, I finished the surface grinder this week. The Kondia mill will take a little while to get running as the cost of replacing the control panel is not in the shop fund right now. :cry:
Base Cabinet with new levelers. I do not have an overall picture at this time.
I had to make clamps and tee nuts to install the magnetic chuck with.
Grinding the chuck, you can see the wear pattern on the chuck pretty well in this photo.
Final rough grind of the chuck, good enough to use but needs a little more work to finish it off.
When I move it into the Machine Room I will build a 4" riser for it, as the way it sets now is hard on my back.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

John K 1959
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by John K 1959 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Dan it looks like you got yourself some fine machines there I am jealous. :) I hope you can get the controls for the other mill soon. One can never have too many tools that is for sure!!! Now if I could just convince my wife of that.............................John
440IC Ser #458500

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 am

John K 1959 wrote:Dan it looks like you got yourself some fine machines there I am jealous. :) I hope you can get the controls for the other mill soon. One can never have too many tools that is for sure!!! Now if I could just convince my wife of that.............................John
John, thanks. I also have a Clausing lathe that more or less completes my machine tool needs. I would like to have a small horizontal mill and a small shaper but the are more of a Luxury Item then a necessity.
I have a thread down in Off Topic about my shop rebuild for these machines also.
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=6716
As to getting SWMBO to okay a tool purchase, a buddy of mine found a way to get what he wanted. He started keeping track of his wife's clothing and shoe purchases over a full year and then bought a mill, when she started to complain about the purchase he presented her with the itemized list of her spending and told her
IF she wanted to continue to spend money on clothes like she had been doing he could continue to buy equipment. No they did not get divorced but she did slack off for a while on buying clothes. This only works if your wife is always buying clothes and shoes thou. :o :D
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade