440 Steering and assorted repairs...

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steering and assorted repairs...

Post by lastchancegarage » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:11 pm

This is as far as I got on my first full day tearing everything apart.

This is the right side front crossmember mount...yes, there was only one bolt on top that was coming out and the one directly underneath was bent downward almost out of the slot.

I guess this is what it should look like...

Here's a chunk missing from the right final housing...

On the plus side, the sprockets look to have a lot of life left...

Also the front rails haven't been excessively worn from the idlers...

After reading all the nightmare stories about separating the tracks, I tried to prepare for just about anything going wrong. I started with the left side by whacking it with a 16 lb sledge to loosen things up (I'd soaked the pins with kroil for two days). Once it started to move, I stuck a 1/2" drive socket over the head and used the air hammer with the staight pin to finish driving it out. When I went to do the right side, it was a different story. Started with the sledge to loosen things and went nowhere with the air hammer. Resorted to beating the hell out of it with the sledge and finally got a little movement. Broke out the torch to see if heat would help and it did but still had a heck of a time making any progress. Finally after prying the track links back and forth I saw that the pin had been broken inside the bushing. Used the air hammer to drive out the small broken inside piece, then drove the outside piece out the other way. The high speed vibration seemed to work well once movement was started.

Now to dismantle the left side and get ready for final removal.... :wink: [/img]
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:59 pm

Does not look like the track frames, rollers or sprokets are wore a whole bunch. Should make for a good machine when you have it back together. Keep the pics coming.
Don
Eastern PA
440IC (1960)

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Little John » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm still lookin' for any info on front cross shaft removal from the track frame. Mine had all 4 bolts 'loose', i.e. they were backed out the same thickness as the lock washers, which were among the missing. Removed 3 and twisted off one. Soakin', jackin', wedgin' and using the resource of last resort.. 4 letter words.. Finally removed the 3 shims and can't detect any movement before or since.....yet. Using 2 each 12 ton jacks and a zerk fitting into the void at the end of the shaft, plus the 2 steel wedges..... what fun you can have with a JD and never even fire it up !! No environmental problems here ....except the 4 letter words....