My 1st Crawler - 440

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:06 am

Hi,

Yeah, those are the Deere manual part numbers listed.

Thanks, it was a bit of an editing effort. It is still ongoing as others send me missing manual numbers. It was worth it, though, as much of the data was already on the board, but spread all over the place in other threads. Now, it is all in one spot. I think I set a record for greatest number of edits to a single post, though.

It wasn't as much work as copying all the serial number data for all those machines which Digitup mailed to me as separate sheets. Those about gave me carpal tunnel! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:09 am

whiteclipse16 wrote:Looks like a pretty decent find.
If you want to sell the winch stuff, get ahold of me.
Tks Ben... I would consider that.. Ben.. as right now.. I'm trying to familiarize myself with these machines.. (I have spent hrs reading on this forum) Not sure weather I need the winch or not.. at this point...
Chrome don't getcha Home

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 am

we are very lucky to have a source like this forum.. and guys such as yourself .. Stan.. Lavoy and others who are obviously quite passionate.. and so knowledgable with these old machines... It sure makes a newbie like myself more comfortable tearing into one... knowing solving an issue "can" only be a click away...
Chrome don't getcha Home

michaelkittrell
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by michaelkittrell » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 am

ddaxe wrote:we are very lucky to have a source like this forum.. and guys such as yourself .. Stan.. Lavoy and others who are obviously quite passionate.. and so knowledgable with these old machines... It sure makes a newbie like myself more comfortable tearing into one... knowing solving an issue "can" only be a click away...
+1 on that. The quality of this forum was a key decision point for me. Without it, I probably would've kept looking for a newer machine.

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:58 pm

that looks like a decent machine, make sure all your fluids are fresh and topped up, especially your final drives....people don't seem to check them and ruin the bearings and gears.
these old machines are just that, don't run her wide open or work the crap out of it and she will keep chugging along.
for there size they can do a lot of work and are great to have.
good luck will your "new" tractor!!
1010 loader

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:46 am

I had my little deere puttering around on the farm this weekend... moving some parts trucks into their new bone yard.. thanks to the 440's brush clearing ability.. I plan on storing it in my shop this winter... to just take in all it is... like you mention.. making sure fluids are all topped up.. etc.. the more I toy around on the property.. the more I like it.. the wife is fine with me spending the money to make it new again.. I told her I'd like to do a total rebuild... like we did the classic Vette we have...
Chrome don't getcha Home

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

the wife is fine with me spending the money to make it new again.. I told her I'd like to do a total rebuild... like we did the classic Vette we have...
Lucky man -- little does she know. Then again, she may want to drive the dozer too.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:27 am

Lucky man -- little does she know. Then again, she may want to drive the dozer too.[/quote]

Oh.. she knows... lol.. she has been through a quite few of my expensive projects... in fact she is not above getting her hands dirty.. we built an 80's 4X4 step side.. and she rebuilt one side of the front diff after watching me do the other side... locking hubs, ball joints and all... I have asked her if she would like to drive the little 440.. but she is not comfortable trying it... just yet... but ya.. I would imagine once she does get into the chair.. I'll never get her out...
Chrome don't getcha Home

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:47 pm

once you get them to drive it, a few minutes later they get this serious look on there face and they start looking down at the blade to see how it is grading and at that point it is over....you will need to get another crawler so you have something to use!!
1010 loader

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 am

she sounds like a keeper for sure, does she have a sister? :lol:

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:56 pm

My daughter, when younger, and willing to try anything.
My wife just rolls her eyes, and writes the checks for parts, etc. Using the dozer to pull any one of our vehicles out of a snow bank in the past, and pulling in our annual wood supply has made her a true crawler supporter:-)
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:30 am

pop pop wrote:she sounds like a keeper for sure, does she have a sister? :lol:
That she is... sorry.. she's an only child... they broke the mold after making her... believe it or not... she is a locomotive engineer with the railway up in these parts... only the 2nd woman to ever work that job... she certainly loves her job hauling upwards of 10000 tons of freight... so running a little crawler would be far less intimidating than running a 4500HP loco.. lol.. with my being a mechanic at the same railway.. we joke around about.. her breaking them.. and me fixing them... same will hold true with the 440.. lol... so I'm sure she will be hoping on that crawler in due time... she does agree it is a great machine to have for tasks around the farm...
Chrome don't getcha Home

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: My 1st Crawler - 440

Post by ddaxe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Haven't forgot about doing my 440 up.. but I had the choice between it.. and another project I had for about4 years waiting in the wings.. so I tackled a 93 Chev step side truck so the wife & I each have 4x4's for winter. With that out of the way, my attention is now focused on the little 440. With the advent of a reverser issue, it is time to get into the shop and get going on it...

Here's the truck... it represents 2 winters worth of work.. frame off resto...

https://www.gmt400.com/data/attachments ... dbca21.jpg
Chrome don't getcha Home

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 pm

The restoration is going along real good. Many of the major pieces have been sand blasted and painted. After getting the 1st of several parts orders I'll need to resurrect the little Deere from Lavoy, I have began to put the machine back together. Many Many thanks to Lavoy who has been there to help with his vast knowledge. After all, dealing with iron that is 60+ years old that has been farmervated umpteen time makes it tough to discern what is original and what is not. I'm hoping I can post some pictures of the progress or post an album of the start to finish (which is a ways out at this point) showing before and after, cause up to now, it's looking like the goal of restoring it to like new is well on its way to becoming reality.
Chrome don't getcha Home

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 am

Very nice job on truck!!
When you get the 440 done, I am sure it will be a definite show stopper!!
Good luck!!