Any other 555 "Triple Nickel" owners out there?

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Any other 555 "Triple Nickel" owners out there?

Post by ngilles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Guys,
I'd sure like to connect with other 555 owners out there. I'm sure the 550 crawler guys have a lot in common too :)
Shoot me a pm or respond to this if you'd lke. Happy to chat.
Nick
JD 555 "Triple Nickel" (straight 555) Trackloader
Lx565 New Holland Skid Loader
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Any other 555 "Triple Nickel" owners out there?

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi,

Yeah, there came a time when Deere decided all '0' crawlers were Dozers and made all the Loaders '5'. So, 550 and 555.

I can't join up as I have never been around a 5-series. And, precious little around a 4-series either. Just the 3-series, of which I am on my second one of. The 420c doesn't count. While it is a '4', it is a very different story. All it has in common are a set of tracks and it says John Deere on it! :P

But, I will be reading the mail. Always things to learn and one never knows when it will come in handy. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

tlock0331
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by tlock0331 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Here i was thinking you were talking about the ol cummins 470/555's - of which i have had a few - HAHAHA

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:03 pm

No 555, but I have a 666...

No joke! Clark used to make a 664 Ranger skidder, and made a larger size 666; we always affectionately/not so affectionately called it a "Satan Ranger" because of the 666 number.

I got it now, but I am not too happy about it. Another logger had it, but did not like it, so he swapped skidders with me. I understand, because as sick as I have been, I only cut 10-15 cord per week, but is it ever slow! It has much bigger tires, wider, and the machine is geared real low. The chains are worn out too so it makes it hard working on the hill with all this ice. With its wide tires, it gets stuck on a sheep turd I swear.

But that is not the worst of it. The charge pump for the winch is worn out, so to get the winch to release, you have to put a stick on the throttle so that the engine is wound up when you pull back on the cable to hook up your trees. That means it has to be in neutral, and on the hillside I am working, I can only hope the blade stays latched to a stump so I do not end up wearing a 20,000 pound skidder as I hook up a choker. There is not a lick of brakes on it.

I am not being dramatic...it is pretty dangerous.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 pm

Deere is about the only older skidder worth having for the safety conscious. The older 440 and 540’s had a hand activated parking brake, large wet disc enclosed on the rear of the transmission. For Clark and others brakes were an after thought and probably didn’t last past the first year.

I’m currently using a powershift 440B, need to pull out 150 matured larch to make mulch with. Put 20 hours on it last season but sprung a leak and will fix before resuming my skidding operation. Leaks are the worst problem you encounter on an older Deere skidder, many had to get at steel lines. At times you need to unbolt the rear transmission mounts and bar it over to one side to work on.

Where is the charge pump for the winch located? On the torque converter? We may have one for you.

We do have a 555 on deck with one bad piston in it, will be getting at it before spring.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:12 pm

JWB Contracting wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 pm
Deere is about the only older skidder worth having for the safety conscious. The older 440 and 540’s had a hand activated parking brake, large wet disc enclosed on the rear of the transmission. For Clark and others brakes were an after thought and probably didn’t last past the first year.

I’m currently using a powershift 440B, need to pull out 150 matured larch to make mulch with. Put 20 hours on it last season but sprung a leak and will fix before resuming my skidding operation. Leaks are the worst problem you encounter on an older Deere skidder, many had to get at steel lines. At times you need to unbolt the rear transmission mounts and bar it over to one side to work on.

Where is the charge pump for the winch located? On the torque converter? We may have one for you.

We do have a 555 on deck with one bad piston in it, will be getting at it before spring.
The John Deere 440 Series of skidders were really nice. They fit a very good market, which would be like where I live. Landowners with a few hundred acres that do not want it cleared, just thinned out. They worked well because they were nimble and small, kind of like how the 350 series of bulldozers were. But like them, the smaller size went the way of the DoDo Bird for John Deere.

My Grandfather has (6) skidders and an Uncle has (2) so we got plenty of parts for them. But yes the charge pump comes off the transfer case.

I am not sure about all Clarks, but it is common knowledge that you can pull the 353 Detroit and swap in a 453 Detroit right into its place. You just have to shorten the drive shaft, and put a different boot onto the air cleaner. The fit is within 5/8 of an inch, but allows the tractor to have a bit more power. Unfortunately to get to the pump, the easiest thing to do is to pull the motor and torque converter together. It is not bad, but it is far easier to put a stick on the throttle until mud season. :-)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!