Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
I bought this straight 450 dozer a couple of years ago knowing it needed some work but I didn't know what to expect. The previous owner passed away and his son sold it to me. He was my neighbor and I'd seen it when he brought it home but he never ran it more than a few hours. So it had been sitting in his barn for about 10 or 15 years when I got it. I took a battery and put in it after checking the fluids and to my surprise it started right up . Then I tried moving it and it moved in every gear but had some steering problems. I got on this forum as soon as I got the dozer and read all I could about it and thought maybe the clutches were stuck so I tried the push the tree method to free them. When I eased against the tree it stopped but didn't lug the engine down as if the clutch was slipping. Finally got time to tear it apart and sure enough the clutch housing had a rat or squirrel nest in it that a 5 gal. bucket wouldn't hold and the throw out bearing was stuck in a position that allowed just enough clutch pressure to move it but not push anything. So that started my journey to refurb this thing and it's been interesting to say the least. I'll post more pictures as I go.
The frame rail was cracked on the right side and the two top bolts were broken on the left rail. 4 of the bolts that hold the front crossbar on were broken off , 1 was missing and the threads were stripped out of another. Spent half a day getting broken bolts out. Cut the broken part off the frame rail, made a new one and welded it on.
The clutch housing had 1" bolts in it but I thought it strange that there was this strap welded on the two bolts. Seemed like a bit of overkill to keep them from loosening. After torching off the straps I saw the reason for them. The clutch housing threaded holes were worn out . These straps were simply holding the bolts in so they couldn't fall out!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests