My New Toy: JD 2010 Crawler Loader with Model 50 Backhoe

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

My New Toy: JD 2010 Crawler Loader with Model 50 Backhoe

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi Everyone-

I thought I would share with you all my new toy, which is a JD 2010 crawler loader with the Model 50 backhoe attachment. I posted about it in the other forum (early model JD crawlers) about a month ago, and decided to buy it a couple of weeks ago. I had found it for sale by a farmer in central MO back in May, but he only advertised it one week. I checked back over the 4th of July holiday and he still had it. He was pretty firm on his price but made up for it with some cheaper shipping than I found and also replaced some leaky hydraulic lines on the backhoe. He also threw in the repair manuals which helped. I had it delivered to western MO (approx 180 miles of windy backroads) by a relative of his using a 3/4 ton truck with gooseneck trailer.

I mainly made the decision to purchase it on a need to complete finish grading for my new house and install the utilities. I did the major earthmoving/rough grading using a rental CAT 939HST; while it was a blast to use and maintenance-free it was also pretty expensive to rent for a long duration. I figured that final grading could be done on my schedule with a smaller machine, and the purchase price would be offset by what I would have spent to rent a trackloader or tracked skidsteer to finish grading and a backhoe to put in utilities and septic.

Here are some pictures to help visualize it:

One thing that is nice about it is that everything works (at least right now) so I have already started doing some work with it. The backhoe was especially handy to load a wood deck for the house on flatbed trailer to move it.

The diesel engine runs well and does not smoke after startup. The hydraulics all work and do not leak. The reverser is very smooth and the steering clutches seem strong. The final drives were supposedly rebuilt within the last two years. The backhoe seems relatively smooth (considering it has the rotary swivel).

It does have its share of problems as well. The exhaust points downward (see pic 1) and seems like a safety hazard I should fix. The loader bucket teeth are worn but don't affect me. The loader and bucket pins have a little wear and slop, but not too bad. The seat is worn. The main engine clutch shifts but seems like it could use adjustment. The undercarriage is fair at best; I know this is the biggest consideration usually but I didn't really have time to be really picky (I've been looking for almost a year) and the good ones I had seen were prohibitively expensive or across the country. The pins and bushing are still round and have life left in them and the sprocket teeth are marginal for a P&B turn but are by no means sharp yet. The biggest wear is on the track pads and the rail (link) thickness which I think will govern whether I have to rebuild the undercarriage. I am a little more worried now that Lavoy stated that pins and bushings may become unavailable.

The backhoe has a little drift but not bad at all and the left stabilizer leaks down after lifting it (it lifts the machine off the ground fine).

I figure I can get my new home work done with it to save the rental costs and then keep it for farm/woods work. I can then decide whether to go through the trouble of restoring it or selling it. My neighbors are very "green" (mainly with wheel tractors) and they think it is pretty neat. We have an annual steam and tractor show in my area, and I think it would make a neat display after restoration especially in the year 2010. ;)

I have the operators, parts, and service manuals for the crawler and loader. I may have to bug you all at some point about these machines, since this is my first crawler.

One thing I could use help with is the identification of the year. The serial number plate has worn off so I can't get that number. Apparently there are parts (based on the manual) that require knowledge of the serial number or year. Are there identifying parts or features so I can narrow the year down? The diesel engine helps (makes it between 1962 and 1965) , and I think the fact that it has 5-rollers helps as well. I would appreciate any help with that. I would also appreciate any help on how to tell if the P&Bs are affected by Lavoy's message (whether this is an "early" versus "late" 2010).

I would also like any leads on replacement buckets for the backhoe (it has a 16" bucket but would like a 12" and 24" bucket) and bracket for counterweights (compatible with the backhoe bracket) if I wanted to leave the backhoe detached for loading only purposes.

Thank you for your time.