Hidden damage

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hidden damage

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Here is an example of what might be lurking in the "good original" crawler you are looking at.

This a a pic of a carrier bearing that was in the 420 crawler I am restoring for a customer. Unfortunately, this is an example of what you can not see on the inside of a machine you own or are looking at buying.
In my opinion, it is also an example of why a "fully" restored crawler that someone has not disassembled the transmission on is not "fully" restored. Maybe I preach too much on this, but how would you like to buy a crawler that is represented as restored, and it is just a paint job and a tune up. This would have lived forever in a trailer queen or parade tractor, but for those of us that plan on playing with ours, I doubt it would have survived long.
The crawler that this came out of made no odd noises when rolling, but it sure would have made a real big noise when this one let go. Most likely would have eaten the ring and pinion, if not broken the trans case when it started to pile up broken parts.
Lavoy