Starters

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Starters

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:39 pm

In the old days, crawlers were hand cranked and after today I am not so sure its not a bad idea to go back to them; being run-over by a bulldozer and broken wrists be that as it may.

First of all, it took me 1-1/2 hours to dismantle every possible piece of auxiliary equipment practically mounted to the right side of the bulldozer engine just to even get at the starter on that 350D. Hood, side guard, blade cylinder, fuel filter, fuel pump, dip stick, oil filter, fuel lines...and that was just to reach the stinking starter. At that point I had to remove wires and then manage to get the starter off the mounting plate.

There is no delicate way to put that; I raped a 5/8 wrench with a 5 inch grinder so that I could get a wrench slid inside there to turn the top nut off the top stud, and the bottom bolt was not a lot easier to get at. No seduction, no dinner and a movie, just straight hard core grinding until hardly anything was left, then insert a screwdriver and twist the wrench sideways and hope it had enough steel to turn the nut...thankfully it did.

By that time I was already smelling like I took a shower with #2 off-road diesel fuel. That was because the moron in me; in holding up the said freed fuel pump from the engine block, wanted to see if it actually pumped fuel...which it did, in copious amounts right into my chest soaking my sweatshirt and t-shirt.

Then I had to wrangle the blasted thing up out of its hole. That was like Hillary Clinton threading her way out of a Grand Jury Indictment.

IIEHTDTA,IWBAPT,FOTJDHAFTETDTBAKHAATWBTMABWTBOAP

In internet acronynm interpretation that would be:

If I ever have to do that again, I will buy a plane ticket, fly out to John Deere's headquarters and find the engineer that designed that bulldozer and kick his a** all the way back to Maine and back without the benefit of a plane!
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:59 am

In retrospect, I guess things were not so bad, $93 to rebuild the starter. $60 dollars for labor and a new solenoid.

Now just to put it all back on!
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 am

Add in not as easy to lean over stuff or bend down for some of us, and kind of tends to piss you off huh? :lol:
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:59 am

I must admit I was shocked at the price of the starter. I figured $250 or so, but this shop has a turn around time of 1-3 days, charges a flat labor rate of $60, then any parts it will need. Well I know how that goes; they suck you in with cheap labor and then put on parts it does not need, but that was not the case at all. I pretty much knew it was just a solenoid, and that is what they said it needed...and nothing else.

The only thing I can say bad about the place was their bathrooms. One of the kids had to go "potty" pretty bad and so Katie went in there, to which they apologized. Katie does not go anywhere without being dressed up and it was a bathroom for a mechanic and not a woman with heels and a miniskirt. They were apologizing all over the place, but Katie is pretty laid back when it comes to that stuff. She understands...

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:23 pm

I told them I was impressed with their prices. I was blunt and said "at $60 flat rate, I kind of figured you would add a whole bunch of parts to make up for it", too which they said, that was why they left the dealership they used to work at. The owner did that all the time to customers and they could not stomach it any more.

I'll definitely go back. I don't mind paying a fair price for a part and understand "we all must eat", but padding the bill is another matter entirely. These guys make a living at equipment parts without scamming, why can't others?

It is a moral question I know, and no real answer.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Starter Woes

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Now try it when's it 20 below and in Celsius.

I see lots of machines with holes cut in the frame or the top of the frame removed. Deere should of had a removeable cover for the bottom bolt.

Swivel sockets can sometimes ease the pain. We also have a bin full of bent and welded wrenches for these special occasions along with fabricated tools such as final drive lift plate and fuel cap with I-let so both can be removed with the shop crane.. Used both plus track pin press on a 350C steering clutch rebuild last weekend.

We have a 450C that needs the shifting speed turned down. We will be fabricating a thin wall hollow type socket with fixed handle as I'm told you have to unloosen a jam nut and turn a set screw. Going to test on a loose tranny first.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:50 am

You know I was thinking of just that when I worked on this starter!

I will say now that I am retired I actually like wrenching again. I think its because before, when I built ships 5 days a week, when something broke I had to stop and fix it, taking time out of the 52 days a year (Saturday) I had to fix it. (with a bit of time on Sunday after church). Still you guys get what I mean. I can simply dedicate time to a repair and do it right, I like that.

It has been a little difficult for me to juggle a totally free life now though. Between farming and philanthropic work, I am torn what to do. I like making strides with my farm, but oh how there is so much volunteer work to be done, and so few other workers.

I have worked harder these last few weeks of retirement then before I retired. I am just so glad I did it now instead of waiting until I am 60.