Taking Pressure off the Final Drives

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Taking Pressure off the Final Drives

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:02 am

I think this will add a few years to the life of the ole John Deere 350D. I am not sure if the Wallenstein was really designed for 12 foot Spruce Logs but it handles them with ease. I like how all the weight is on the trailer and the bulldozer does not even know it has a load behind it. The next test will be hemlock logs, but they are much heavier than Spruce that is for sure, but maybe it will work okay?

I am really happy in any case, a lot less trips to the yard, more production, cleaner wood and still productive.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=584424E7

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58808E78

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5855A496
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:56 am

That is very cool!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Nice looking rig! Have you considered an older wheeled tractor to pull that thing, and just yard with the dozer? Decent older tractors in the 50hp range can be had for probably less than a set of pins and bushings. A Farmall M tricycle would look good in front of that thing.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:56 am

I typically use my Kubota for most firewood and pulpwood logging since it has a winch and can pull the trailer with ease. What I found works great is using the bulldozer to clear brush and make excellent roads for my tractor to twitch.

On the shorter pulpwood and firewood you cannot beat the tractor and trailer combination, as the trailer really is designed for 8' wood. When you put 12 foot wood on like what is in the picture, it tends to lift the 3 point hitch though (even with the winch on it) when the wheels of the trailer hit any sort of dip or incline. Hitching it to the dozer is a different story. It does NOT lift the back of that so the dozer works well for logs. Since the price for logs is so much more valuable then pulpwood, and mud or dirt cannot be on the ends of logs anymore, dozer logging this way pays for itself.

My dozer has got a new set of tracks on it, but for a 350D they only cost around $4500 too. I actually thought about buying a spare set just to have kicking around for that price as who knows what it will be in the future. But who knows if I'll have the tractor in the future either. A 450J sounds nice!
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!