Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lawless
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Lawless » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello all, new member here. I'm new to JD crawlers but not to crawlers. Currently have a case 450 and love it. I just picked up this old jd crawler from my neighbor for next to nothing. The pics are of it just pulled out of the weeds on the neighbors property. He said the engine was rebuilt about 20 years ago along with the steering clutches relined. Unfortunally he installed the steering clutches backwards (he says) and he parked it. Been sitting every since.

So, im guessing it's a 40c? I don't know what's factory or not or even what I'm gonna do with it. I figured it was pretty cool and what I got it for I really couldn't pass it up. It comes with all the manuals (he hasn't dug them out yet) and even half of a extra crawler.

Anybody wanna help me and let me know what I got? Worth keeping or scrapping? Thanks in advance!

Lawless
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Lawless » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks but I have no intention on parting it out.

I am a retired mechanic so as long as parts are still avaliable then I can get it running. It's just if I want to spend the time on it or not.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Looks like a fun project. My 420 came to me in similar shape. At least you have some history on the machine, and some experience with crawlers. Once you get it running, I'll bet you'll be taking it further. Good luck.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 pm

No such thing as relining clutches or putting them in backwards. Really doesn't matter, 20 year old clutches on a crawler that sat in anything other than climate controlled storage are junk regardless.
If you want it, and can afford it, fix it, I have brought back significantly worse. Clutch parts are no problem, I sell hundreds of them per year.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com