John Deere 350D versus Chainsaw

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

John Deere 350D versus Chainsaw

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Have you ever thought, "Gee I wonder what a Husqvarna 445 chainsaw would look like if it got run over by a John Deere 350D?"

Well good news, because it just happens that I have pictures of just such a thing. Today, in my long lost quest to build a stump-bench in my new mudroom using a stump taken from my own land. I located the perfect stump, tossed my saw on back of my bulldozer and headed off into the woods with Wallenstein in tow (my personified log trailer).

Yeah the stump was a bit tricky to get out because the West side of it was interlocked with a massive hemlock, but being retired now, I got time. I also got a rough ride and as I was backing up and going forward to get my blade under the root ball of the tree, my saw fell off the back without me knowing it. Sometimes you have to really work at stumps and I sure was, the whole time my left track churning right on top of my saw. When I noticed it was not behind me like it should be, it took a bit to find it. Only the tip of the saw was sticking out of the dirt and we are in a drought and have no mud.

So now I have two chainsaws that are dead. An old 046 Stihl that was killed by a falling tree last week and now not so ole faithful (it was a husqvarna after all).

So this is what a John Deere 350D does to a chainsaw! Stomped it like my ex-wife did to my heart when she took off for Arizona with her online boyfriend!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5841E4FB
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:00 pm

I pictured an orange pancake from your description....doesn't look that bad, is the case broken or just plastic damage?
I wrecked a wheelbarrow with a john deere 4020...crushed the crap out of it.
1010 loader

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 pm

But...the story continues.

A few years ago a friend from church was like me and retired kind of early. I did so at 42, but he was in his late 30's. Anyway he was struggling a bit and I was working at the shipyard and had plenty of money so I stopped in and gave him some to get by. I never made a big deal of it, but I never have. People need help sometimes and its only money.

Now he heard about me, and knowing without chainsaws, life on this farm just stops, so he called us late Friday night and said "I know you need a chainsaw so tomorrow morning go out to the dealership and pick it up. I'll leave my credit card number so it will all be taken care of." He already knew the price and while I was willing to settle for a lower priced one, he knows that I cut big wood a lot and just need a big chainsaw. So on Saturday I got a MS 461 Stihl which is a $1000 chainsaw. As soon as I walked in to get it the guy said, "You got one heck of a friend."

Indeed I do, both in heaven and on earth.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=587B5CCD
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Nice to hear stories like this, but you have to stop damaging chainsaws in this manner.
I have a 1978 Jonsered 90 that I burnt up in 1980 on a big burn pile when a loose gas cap fell off while cutting to getting the pile to fall in and relight. I ultimately repaired the saw, only the plastic and electrics were damaged. It's still charred, but 750,000 BF or so later, still cuts nicely - and I think of the day it was incinerated every time I fire it up.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:34 am

Yeah I made some drastic changes. The first was in changing how my chainsaw fit into a rack. My first was a wooden rack bolted to the back of the bulldozer. The problem with this is (as you know), bulldozers pitch and roll and worst on their ends. I now have my chainsaw rack beside my right foot which is more secure and gives my saw a more tame ride.

The other one was just directional felling. I am clear cutting since I am clearing land for agriculture so I did not concern myself with directional felling too much. If the tree leaned back on my saw, I would just push it over with the dozer which caused some major and minor mishaps. Now I use wedges and directional fell more to stop some of that damage.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:51 pm

This is how I'm carrying my saw. I don't like climbing over it getting in and out of the seat. This scabbard keeps it handy from both sides of the machine and out of my way.

Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch