Broke a John Deere 700G today!

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Broke a John Deere 700G today!

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:03 pm

I have been busy stumping a new pasture at a camp where I volunteer. First it was with a Hitachi zx160lc excavator, but now they got a new operator running that while I work my magic with a John Deere 700G.

Boy what a nice tractor; or at least it was until I shattered the right rear sprocket. I will say tearing it down was incredibly easy, just four bolts to split the track, then two dozen bolts to unbolt the mounting plate for the sprocket segments. The sprockets themselves did not bust, just the plate that mount from the axle shaft to the sprocket segments. I am hoping it will be in tomorrow, but I am not sure when.

Until then, here is a picture from the top of the hill. It looks like a gentle slope, but it is anything but. VERY steep and very rugged with lots of bedrock everywhere! Pounding on this bedrock is what shattered the sprocket plates! It is too bad, its a nice bulldozer!!

Not a bad view out of the ole cubicle either!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=585F32BB
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Well we got the dozer back up and running!
Putting the new disc back on was not that bad, but getting the track back together sure was. It took an excavator pulling on the track, two ratchet straps and a few lining bars, but we got the track on and the dozer did well.

After all was said and done I had nothing to do with it breaking. There was extreme wear on the sprocket and disc, so much so that it was half the thickness of the new part.

They are ordering another disc for the other side and hopefully we won't have to change that one right in the middle of a Gale. 2 inches of rain just today, but I got a big chunk of the mountain down!

Here is a video of the dozer I am using...

https://www.facebook.com/fairhavencamps ... 048785970/
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Well me and bookface are still agreeing to disagree. Not watchable.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Working for me
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:12 am

Hi,

FB insists I log in to see it. And, I will never be a member of FB, so no go.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Sorry guys for that...

But it doesn't really matter, we are broke down again. Maybe there is something for sticking with the old tried and true John Deere equipment after all and not the newer stuff.

You know it is a VERY bad thing when you are operating a bulldozer on top of a mountain (at the furthest point away from the road) and watch as your left track passes by the cab and you are in reverse. Yep; a VERY bad thing. Tracks should be under you, not going flapping by the window.

We are not sure of the reason, but the four bolts holding the track pad to the master link sheared off and thus split the track in two. There is no way to extract the track pad bolts from what I can tell, so I think we will have to drive the dozer off the track and then drag the track down the mountain, take it to Nortrax and have a new master link pressed in.

I am not sure the reason for the failure. The mechanic did have a hard time installing the master pin bolts and that is where the failure occurred. Two outside ones had broken awhile ago (rust showing on the breaks) while the two inside ones were freshly broken.

But other than that it was a good day; a lot of land cleared and we can almost see the end of the tunnel.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:10 am

It took us three hours but on Thursday we got the track back on. It was not as bad as the first time surprisingly considering the mountain we were on and the spot it was sitting in.

That was better than the Hitachi 160 Excavator, on Saturday I lost a track on that and ended up spending 5 hours getting that back on. What a job. At one point the track was off the front idlers, bottom track rolls, top track carriers, and the sprockets; in other words about a foot on the outside of the machine just sitting there.

We used come-a-longs, the bucket itself, chains and my bulldozer to get it to go back on, only to find out that the undercarriage is completely shot and that there is no adjustment left in the front idlers.

I won't say I am running junk as 2002 is a lot newer than 1988, but my John Deere 350D has 3500 hours and has brand new tracks while the John Deere 700 Dozer and Hitachi 160 Excavator has over 7000 hours on them with OEM tracks. Yikes!