bulldozer unstuck.

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
mlaclaire
MC crawler
MC crawler

bulldozer unstuck.

Post by mlaclaire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:49 pm

I was clearing an area for an orchard. Little did I kn=ow there was an old cellar hole full of brush and water/clay mud. I started pussing the "brush pile" when the front blade of the 1960 era CAT D7E SN/48A6151 and the front end dropped into the hole. A surprise for sure. I was almost tossed over the levers and out onto the hood into the smoke stack. Luckily my foot got stuck behind one of the brake peddles and that held me in. After a few attempts to back out I started to remember a few old time logger tricks I learned from my Father and grand father ( they were old wood cutters who use horses to haul logs out. So i had a few logs and some 70 tensile chain. i wrapped the chain around the log several times until the hooks lined up with the center tracks. We/Rebecca my Daughter and I then slid the grab hooks onto the track pads. As I backed up the chains pulled the log with the chains under the back of the bulldozer up and onto the log and when I hit the tipping point and the rear of the tracks hit solid ground there was one epic long sigh of relief. Now I have the same machine sitting with one track off. Thankfully not in the mud. It did snap the chain in two places but compared to getting another BIG machine to dig and pull me out it was worth it.
Proud owner of JD450 Tilt Dozer: Cat D-7 Dozer, Walden 7000 loader.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: bulldozer unstuck.

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I read your story, saw "old cellar hole" and thought, he must be from New England! Only here do we run into that sort of thing.

Glad you got it out, but the busted track sucks.

I did that last year working on a mountainside with a 700 John Deere. I started to back up and watched my left track go zipping past me like the zipper on my wifes wedding dress on the day we got married. That was a sinking feeling (the bulldozer's lost track and not the honeymoon part with my wife) :-)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: bulldozer unstuck.

Post by pop pop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

ah well the old cellars were pretty prevalent in the tornado country too.
the nice ones had brick or cement liners with electric lights, :idea: the old ones were dirt with a candle and matches at the bottom,,
, and usually the matches were too musty to strike so ya had to keep them else where. :cry:
a place for us "kids" to sneak off too and cool off with a couple of snorts of homemade wine. and other canned goods, peaches, etc. :) :wink:
old days gone by.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry: