Logging Set-Up

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Logging Set-Up

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm

I have been on the forum for awhile now, but just got pictures to post, so here is my logging set up. It is my 350D towing a Wallenstein log trailer. It really is a nice set-up. (As with most of my pictures, my wife Katie is modeling again).

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Logging Set-Up

Post by B Town » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Best of the best, i must say. Bruce.

More pics!!

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I must say I like that "factory" seat in your 350 D.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 am

Here is some logging pictures; though this log trailer does more than that. It comes with a dump body that holds a yard of gravel, a backhoe, and since the grapple rotates 360 degrees, it can power a post hole auger too. Not one to sit on my bottom and do nothing, I fabricated an upside down woodspliter so I don't have to do any lifting when I split my wood, as well as a grader blade to get my logging roads really smooth and flat.

If you look close towards the hitch and on the right side (by Katie's thighs) you will see the 6 hp engine that powers the hydraulics of this trailer. Because of that I use it on my tractor, bulldozer or SUV by simply pulling the hitch pin. I use it A LOT behind our Ford Explorer because it is fast,especially at grabbing big round hay bales out of our fields for our sheep.

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 am

This is the log trailer with the upside down woodsplitter.

What I did was build a "carrier" as I call it, which is a 3 point arrangement that holds a external hydraulic tank, seat and hitch. Wanting more speed and power for my splitter, I put a Prince PTO pump on my tractor to power the upside down woodsplitter. The speed can be adjusted by adjusting the tractor throttle. Then, so I do not have to stand all day, I put a seat on the back which has all functions; tilt, slide forward and back...even lumbar support! I also added an arm rest that has the splitter valve...and of course a cup holder! The log trailer is attached to the carrier by a hitch.

Then I redid a homemade splitter so that it hangs upside down. I am not sure if you can see how the 4 way splitter works, but I hover my splitter over the round of wood, pinch it, but do not split it, until it is over my dump body (not shown) then finish splitting it. Then I drive over to my woodshed and dump the wood out. In this way I never have to pick up a block of wood..I sit on my butt! (As a side note, I pick the firewood up to waist height with my grapple beforehand so that when blocking up firewood, my saw does not hit dirt, nor do I have to stoop over all day)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 am

This is the grader blade...

The problem with 3 point hitch mounted blades is that they are not very smooth because they follow the tractor in going up and down, but I realized if I mounted my grader blade between my log trailers bolt on hitches, I could extend the length and use its walking beam, 4 wheel suspension to leave a really smooth roadway. So that is what I did, making a drop hitch to get the clearance I needed.

This works incredibly well. I maintain a half mile of heavy haul road for my logging trucks and it is so long that in 2 passes the roads are properly crowned and smoothed. I think I have $35 in the whole build including bolts and welding rod.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:45 am

Finally just some random pictures of it doing odd-ball work like moving rocks so you guys can see the dump body, the backhoe with me digging a waterline to one of the sheep barns, and moving round bales. It really is the swiss army knife of implements on this farm. There is not a day that goes by...summer or winter...that it is not used for something.

One note on the first picture. You will see my tractor, then my winch, then the log trailer. This works really well because when my log bunks are on (and not my dump body) I can fell a tree 150 feet away from the tractor or bulldozer, winch the tree to me, then cut the tree into log or pulpwood lengths and load it onto the trailer. I can get about 500 bf or 1/2 a cord per trailer load.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 am

shinnery wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm
I must say I like that "factory" seat in your 350 D.
Bryce
I actually got this idea from PondHogVT. I was visiting him and I saw how the seat on his Kumatsu came from a car. Mine came from a Ford Focus. It works well, is very comfortable and bolts in and out with two bolts so access to the clutches is quick and easy.

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 am

That's really impressive work. You've definitely figured out how to get the most out of the Wallenstein.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Nice to see your creative problem solving. You should get great satisfaction every time you use one of your creations. The back you save is your own. Thanks for sharing. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch