Secondary Transmission Cooler

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Secondary Transmission Cooler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:03 am

I have been pounding across a twitch road with my skidder all summer and finally got my bulldozer put back together so I could take care of that issue!

I recently added a Tru-Cool external transmission cooler from Autoplicity ($81) and was wondering if it was really needed. My bulldozer really is not made for stumping or pushing boulders so it was really working. Since I also added a transmission temperature gauge, I would watch the temp climb by 10 degrees (to 140 degrees) then drop as the transmission cooler kicked in and brought the temperature back down.

After grubbing out that logging road for my skidder, I am glad I installed the transmission cooler. It is not for the purists I know, but takes a lot o heat out of the transmission and that is a very good thing.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Secondary Transmission Cooler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:27 am

CuttingEdge wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:03 am
After grubbing out that logging road for my skidder, I am glad I installed the transmission cooler. It is not for the purists I know, but takes a lot o heat out of the transmission and that is a very good thing.
Works for me, too. As it would anyone who ever hauled a trailer all over the place can attest to! ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 am

350 should have had a reverser cooler on it already I think. Might just be in the radiator like a car or pickup, or did you put it in series with it?
lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah the 350's have one already, a tiny thing in the base of the radiator.

The instructions on the external one said to plumb it in series with that OEM cooler so that it is preheated in the winter. So I did, which is why I think the oil is running at 130 degrees. I think I could get it cooler if I plumbed it direct to the external cooler, but I am not sure I would want too.

The transmission temp gauge on my skidder puts the "green at 120-250 (degrees F) before it goes to red, so I am thinking 130-140 degrees is ideal?

As stated in the fan post, if I changed to a pull type fan instead of the pusher I have, it might run cooler too. Right now I am pushing warm air from the engine radiator out through the transmission cooler lessening its cooling ability somewhat.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 pm

I wouldn't want to run cooler. The old rule of thumb to get moisture out of oil used to be minimum of 140 degrees for half an hour. This oil should run at 200 plus all day with no problem, so you are good shape.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Hey thanks for the information.

That is why I put a temperature gauge in it, It is nice to know how warm the reverser is getting.