Deere 350B engine coolant heater

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Duke350B
MC crawler
MC crawler

Deere 350B engine coolant heater

Post by Duke350B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Finally was able to install correctly a TEMRO coolant heater on my 350B. The story began last winter when my water pump bearing passed away.
Began to change the water pump, take off the pump on august 2017, then made it sandblasted, then a new primer and paint. Finally the pump was back on the crawler late september. Fill up the engine with new coolant, test all the stuff , no leaks :D :D :D .
Everything was fine until I had the idea to check my coolant heater to make sure everything was ok for the winter. plug the cord, coolant began to heat and then 5 minutes later I heard some sparking noise coming from the heater then some smoke :roll:
The heater was the one that Deere sold for the 350 and 450. It was red with 2 connections on the side. I installed it in 2005. Try to have a replacement unit from Deere....No more available :-(
Went on the internet to find a sub.....Finally made my choice for the TEMRO 3308003 unit, 1500 watts output. F..k yeah ! That I told to myself, it will make the engine glow on the cold winter night.....I had all wrong :-(

On the Deere unit I had installed in 2005, I didn't like the way it was supposed to be installed on the side of the engine because the engine on a 350 is smaller than on a 450 so less space. I finally installed it on the front of the radiator with 5/8 heater hose to make the connection between the engine and heater. Put some hydraulic hose protector on the heater hose to prevent hose wearing cause it was running between frame and radiator.

When I received the Temro unit it was a little bit bigger and BIG problem, the top connection was not on the side but upway so I needed to had an extra elbow wich was going to high compare to the connection level on the engine.

Made all the connections, fill up with coolant, again !!! But the cord on it, started to heat, I could hear the boiling sound in the heater.....Then I heard a small "click" sound coming from the heater...It was the thermostat of the heater that went open to protect the unit. Big heat was felt on the elbow of the engine but not enough long to heat all the engine. Wait for some time then another "click" and the boiling sound again....Then another "click" with no boiling sound.....Gosh!!!

After several weekends working on it with several miss and try, I finally change the tank heater (same model) for a 750 watts and I rearanged the routing of the hydraulic lines from the pump to be able to put the heater lower compare to the engine.

Works well now. I'll try to put some pics...
Thanks,

Duke 350B

Duke350B
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Deere 350B engine coolant heater

Post by Duke350B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks,

Duke 350B

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Deere 350B engine coolant heater

Post by Scottyb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I purchased a 1500w heater for my 350c and was disappointed to see it would not fit on the side on the engine like the smaller ones do on my 350b's as, it was a lot larger. I like the spot where you mounted yours and did not think of that option. I am going to see if it will fit there when I go back to the cabin (2 hours from home in the city). Fortunately, it will usually start down to -5 or even -10c with a shot of either so, I have been able to keep the snow cleared through deer season so far. This 350c came from a life of loading peat moss and has 2 foot bucket extensions on each side making the full bucket 8 ft wide for snow. Street pads are not much help but I will put some bolts for traction in them next time I'm up there. Thanks for posting the photos.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments