1010c Diesel loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c Diesel loader

Post by Firemn260 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello I’m new to the forum and I have been searching around for all the info I can soak up on the crawler I just brought home.

Bought it off a childhood friend of mine for a thousand bucks. I needed something that gets a little more traction than my 873 bobcat for pushing manure into piles. I will also use it to clear some brush, few small boulders and small trees to make more room for pastures.

I had run this machine in the past when helping him do some work around my friends farm so I know it runs good. He took very good care of it and I have all the maintenance records dating back to The owner before him. Apparently the previous owner before my freind had it had put 4to 5k into the machine right before he sold it to him. I do have some documentation of what was replaced. Mostly bearings, seals, hoses, idlers, fluids and such. Looks like the labor was the biggest expenses. I have a mountain of shop manuals, parts catalogs, owners manual and receipts that came with it. I havnt checked the serial number yet to find out what year it is.

All fluids look great and are where they are supposed to be but I do plan on changing the crank case oil before I put it to work. The under carriage looks great also.

The only bad thing is it’s a bear to start. It only has one battery in it. What was the reason of having two batteries? I’m not sure the glow plugs are lighting and the fuel primer is not moving any fuel. I looked up a new primer and they are super expensive. I’m hoping it’s just a few o rings or something that is bad. Any advice on that would be appreciated. Unfortunately my freind had been using a small shot of either to get it fired and I know it is not recommended but I will probably have to do the same untill I get the glow plugs and primer figured out.

Also I think the tracks may need a bit of tensioning as they seem a bit loose. It is hydraulic tensioned and I was wondering if it takes a special grease gun to do that?

I concider myself very mechanical inclined and work on all my own equipment but this is my first crawler. I have read that the 1010 can be a mechanics nightmare with scarcity of parts and expensive fixes but I figured if it will get done what I need it to do without breaking anything I can still turn around and sell it for what i bought it for.

How do I go about posting pictures of it on here?

Thanks in advance.

Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 1010c Diesel loader

Post by Firemn260 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 am

First, welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and people here.

A far as I know the 1010 never came with two batteries. If your crawler has two it was added by a frustrated previous owner. The machine would not start easy and they increased the cranking amps with a second battery. Problem is they probably didn't add the relays to the charging system to keep the second battery properly charged.

When new the glow plugs were barely adequate to start at anything less than t-shirt weather. Do you and your machine a favor and replace the glow plugs, brighten up all connections. If not in great shape, I would replace the battery and cables.

Your crawler looks to be in very good condition, there is plenty of life left with reasonable use and maintenance. Your tracks don't look terrible loose. Your owners manual and/or tech manual will describe how to measure the track sag. Regular grease gun is okay, use good sense and avoid super high pressures. If there is a lot of resistance, then the track is too tight, or something is wrong/stuck.
Take care, Bruce

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Nice!

My avatar is a 1010...

:D
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 am

1010's were never designed to start without glow plugs. At 80 degrees, they say 30 seconds of glow plug on a cold engine, 2 minutes at lower temps. With good glow plugs, I have personally started two different 1010 diesel's in single digits without any sort of engine coolant heater. Yes, would rather have plugged them in, but situation did not allow. Primer helps as well in really cold temps.
Check or replace all 4 glow plugs, check and/or repair any known or potential wiring defects. No need for two batteries, that is a bandaid for other underlying problems. A good 1000CCA battery should start it in any conditions, if not, battery is not the problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Firemn260 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to go over the wiring tonight and then check the glow plugs.

Lavoy do you have any in stock Incase I need to replace them?

Are there parts available to fix the primer?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 01, 2018 3:45 pm

I have one of the sizes on hand, there are two, one for early, and one for late. Just remember what size wrench you use, that's all I need to know.
Take it apart, there might be just O-rings in there. If you have a small airport with a repair shop at it, take it to them and ask.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 03, 2018 8:20 am

I own several 2010 diesel crawlers (the bigger brother of the 1010s) so have some familiarity with them.

First of all, resist the temptation to use starting fluid. I've done it myself and it is unlikely the glow plugs are working if you are using it, but you are risking cracking the precombustion chambers where the glowplugs screw into the head. Besides a good strong battery like Lavoy recommended, oftentimes the starter is worn which causes slower rotation. I found after replacing my starter that even without working glow plugs it started much better because it turned over faster. Starters are somewhat of a pain to remove- on the 2010 loaders one nut is near the bottom of the frame and the fuel filter assembly has to be unbolted and moved to the side (without disconnecting the fuel lines) but can be done. Hopefully the 1010 is a little easier that way. I would recommend that you get the Wellman glow plugs from Lavoy- they are made better than the May company glow plugs that ironically John Deere stocks.

As for the primer plunger, if you search on this site for my user name and keyword primer many years back you will find a very extensive thread about aftermarket primer plungers that are not nearly as expensive or scarce- the thread was about 2010s but I have to imagine the parts weren't different for that- Lavoy could probably confirm.

The serial number on those is actually on the side of the engine block ("passenger side") on a flat spot of the block- it may be covered by grease. if it is not there you may never know the true serial number but there are only a few serial number ranges that matter for ordering parts and then can often be determined through key parts on the machine that also have ranges.

The hydraulic tensioners are not hard at all and you don't need a special grease gun- but you do need to be careful as to which type of grease you use. You also have to be very careful if you ever go to retract the adjusters because there is a plug you have to remove and therte is a small check ball that can be easily lost in the grease. There are many threads on this as well.

Welcome to the board- it is a great forum for these crawlers. i would recommend you get parts from Lavoy because it supports this site and he buys the best parts that last (such as the glow plugs) and not junk. The shipping is really not too bad and he will work with you on shipping methods. Most on here are willing to answer questions (to the degree you are not asking questions easily found in searching the archives), and we were all once in your shoes on being new to crawlers. Just remember for the most part those older crawlers are just tractors with very heavy parts and run flat tires :)
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 03, 2018 8:26 am

Oh, one more thing. I had posted a thread in the "announcements" forum on how to post photos from a third party site, like Photobucket. i think Lavoy may have upgraded the site to host photos directly, but since it appears you are using Photobucket anyhow it might help you to read that thread so the photos will show up directly instead of having to click on the link (some may not be able to see if their work blocks the link to photobucket).
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Firemn260 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Ok so I checked all the wiring and am getting 12v all the way up to the plugs so I’m good there. I’m guessing the glow plugs are bad.

The glow plugs in it are Wellmans. 6A4670019
V11. W95 if that means anything. The wrench to remove them was a 3/8.

I pulled the fuel primer and it’s made by kohler. My wife works for police aviation and there is a aircraft repair company on the airport so I’m going to take it over to them and see what they say. Seems to just be the o rings on the plunger are wore out.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri May 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi,

They are resistors, so once the wire is off an ohmmeter will tell you if they are open easily enough.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Firemn260 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 pm

I had some time to mess with the crawler this morning and I confirmed all the glow plugs were bad. But here is the kicker. Two of the plugs were 3/8 wellmans and two were 5/8 GE. Both GE plugs tips were blown off. I’m guessing somebody replaced 2 of what I would guess is the pre combustion chambers with parts from a later model? My serial number is 11201 so it is a 1960 I believe.

So now I have to buy two different size plugs.

On a good note I was able to replace the two o rings on the plunger of the fuel primer and she’s moving some fuel now.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 06, 2018 8:50 pm

5/8 is what you should have. My other question would be what injectors you have.
Lavoy

Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Firemn260 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 am

All the injectors are feed from the top if that helps.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah, just looked it up, was thinking the late injectors started earlier than that. Will check on glow plugs.
Lavoy