I Bought a New Toy

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

I Bought a New Toy

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

Well, I haven't been on much recently due to life, but did think it would be good to show you my new toy. It's a 450 crawler dozer with the manual outside blade that I got very reasonably at a recent farm auction. I believe it is a straight 450 (the sale bill for the auction had seven digits for the number but it starts with 101).

The Good
Besides the price being good, it has a ROPs and at least during the auction started right up, shifted, and steered well. I pulled the seat and it appears to have at least power assist for the steering levers. The diesel ran smooth and did not smoke excessively or have the wrong colors to it. The engine oil was clean and the radiator with good full clean green antifreeze. The very best part of this crawler is that it had nearly new Berco rails and sprockets, and the rollers and idlers also looked nearly new. That alone made up for the purchase price.

The Bad
it has a HLR leak- it's not bad (a drip that gets to be a small stream as it warms up). The owner said he thought it was an old seal- it is coming from the front where the input shaft would be. Also since the gauges don't work I don't know how hot the HLR is getting, but the owner said he did stop it regularly to check fluid level. The owner showed me a valve on the fuel line under the seat from the fuel tank to the injection pump- he said if you don't shut it off and let it sit you will get fuel in the crankcase. This is a horizontally mounted "C' style pump as best as I can tell- is this normal or is this an issue with umbrella seals or similar?

The Ugly
The leaking fluid is reddish purple, like automatic transmission fluid- it isn't 303 or Hygard, at least the color I am used to seeing. I'm sort of worried about that- if anyone can give some insight (like maybe the cold temp Hygard is red?) I would appreciate that. I also wonder about mixing Hygard with that fluid and what problems that may cause. having said that, the crawler appears to shift OK between high, low, and reverse.

All in all I think i did Ok considering the price and the new undercarriage. I needed a dozer with good grousers because my 2010 dozer is inoperable right now and I didn't have time to work on it. I would love to get a Carco winch for it but am unsure about the brackets on the back with the ROPS and know that finding a good winch for these isn't easy or cheap. ;)

I also need to get my sig line updated to include this. Ok, let the comments fly! :)
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: I Bought a New Toy

Post by B Town » Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 am

Does the straight 450 have the small fuel transfer pump in the right side of the engine just in front of the starter? This pump has a small oring that fails and can send fuel directly to the engine oil on 450C. These transfer pumps easily replaced or rebuilt(if they are the old style). Bruce

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: I Bought a New Toy

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am

Hi B Town- that's a good point that I should track down. I thought the 450s use a pump for priming and transfer but hadn't looked where it is at. If someone has more knowledge on that I would appreciate it.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment