A Third Track on a Bulldozer?

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

A Third Track on a Bulldozer?

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

I have to admit, I never thought of a bulldozer with a third track.

My idea to stop sideways drift while angling the blade on bulldozers was to make the tracks so they could be tilted, kind of how a grader tilts its wheels to stop that nonsense. Obviously this is a MUCH better way.

Equally, I can see putting carbide teeth on the third track chain so that in stumping it would just shred the stump instead of pushing the stump over and having to push it all the way across the clearing. I am not a huge fan of stump grinding in land clearing anyway because what is left often rots down leaving gaps and holes that livestock can step into and break ankles and legs, but burning stumps and pushing into ravines is not always possible. Obviously pushing across a new field can mean really long pushes!

It is an interesting concept, but like anything today, looks EXPENSIVE with the separate engine and hydraulic system driving it. I bet an enterprising person though could cobble together a third track assembly vertically and rig up an engine to power it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crwcq-c7peU
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: A Third Track on a Bulldozer?

Post by psprague » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 pm

I was expecting something more like a Terex TC12, there were several nearby road building when I grew up.

Or a Transformer.

Anyway, that's neat!
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 am

Hi,

Yes, those are just what you want when filling miles of pipe trench. :)

For clearing, what you want is one of those huge selfpowered flails hooked onto the blade frame of a D8. ;)

You know the ones the park service uses to blast trails thru the forest. The power companies love them as well. They take trees and make them into a carpet of mulch.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:10 pm

That’s a impressive invention! Now to scale it down to fit on a 420 blade..... 🤔
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:17 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 am
For clearing, what you want is one of those huge selfpowered flails hooked onto the blade frame of a D8. You know the ones the park service uses to blast trails thru the forest. The power companies love them as well. They take trees and make them into a carpet of mulch.
We have a rental company here that has them for rent, but they are pretty pricey. $10,000 a month (28 days or 160 hours), but also requires insurance before renting. There's is mounted to an excavator though. I thought about renting it, but $10,000 for 160 hours is a lot of money!

I looked at some at a farm and logging show and cannot see why a homemade version cannot be made. They looked pretty simple, just a rotating bar holding carbide teeth counter-rotating against a fixed bar. Mechanical or hydraulic power via an engine could easily get a person there.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!