440IC with 602 Blade and Winch

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440IC with 602 Blade and Winch

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 am

ok guys, I got a question about his left steering brake casing....I have jd440 ic also....and my bung hole and cover is on the front side of the housing, i notice his is showing up on the rear side and the donor i had from a loader was the same as mine.....what is different, could that be off a 350 or \\something???

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am

I was also wondering about this. The clutch housing on the LHS has a bung cover on front and back. The one on RHS only has the hole on the front of the housing. I can see the part number in the casting on the LHS housing (M3705T) but the casting number on the RHS is obscured by the transmission. The online parts book only refers to one housing. Also it only refers to 1 plug. So if that housing was installed on the LHS, it would make it tough to adjust that clutch?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm

When originally built, there were left and right clutch housings. In later years they figured out if you put holes in both sides, one housing covers two part numbers, so half the inventory to carry. Realistically, they should have just done this in the first place, would make life a lot easier for us now.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 pm

I was able to get the RHS throwout bearing carrier (cam) off. All 3 balls and inserts were in place. I noted that there was a bit of wear on 2 of the inserts on the quill side. It seems that the cam must have been allowed to travel to far and allowed the ball to ride up on the quill. 2 of the inserts have a small dish out of them. Is this a concern? Should these inserts be replaced? or will it be ok once new clutches/pressure plates are installed and adjusted properly?

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 pm

I changed my mind and decided to keep disassembling. When I'm done I want to have everything in good working order and not have something blow up later. I'm finding it hard enough to find the time to do what I've already done so when am I going to find time to do it over?

Pulled the transmission today. Glad I did. Either the reverser seal or front transmission seal is leaking as there was fluid in the cavity between the transmission and reverser. Also, I noted alot of end play on the transmission input shaft, way more than the spec which shows .002 - .004. There's more like .020 - .030.

Now I can work in the shop instead of outside in the mud.