420 Tensioner Parts

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

420 Tensioner Parts

Post by Jimmy in NC » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:56 pm

As I'm sure anyone that has tried to find tensioner parts has found, Mother Deere has obsoleted most of them. I'll add pictures of the complete tensioners in the next few days but for now, the two parts that are hardest to come up with. I had tensioner nuts made from 2" hex stock to duplicate the originals and the locating bushing for the rear made from 2 11/16" stock. Included are a few pictures of what I had to start with which will explain why I HAD to build new parts.

For the bolts I used threaded rod, 1" NC. I was able to obtain 3' lengths at a local bolt supplier (Automototive Fasteners Inc). Then I just put a nut on one end and welded it on to form a head and cut it to length. I added some extra length to allow me the ability to leave two nuts on the end to protect the threads and still give full range of track adjustment.

If anyone needs any of the dimensions of what I have had made please let me know. I'll add some more photos of the old tensioners after I get some more photos as well as some of the new tensioners assembled.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Jimmy,

I didn't go to nearly so much trouble as you have, but I did learn, in my efforts, that there are at least two different grades of threaded rod, of that size, available locally. I chose the tougher of the two, and then did the same thing you did for the head.

Gary

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 pm

Gary-

That was a major concern of mine and the rod I chose should be better than standard all thread. I can't remember the specifics but I know I ended up paying twice as much.

Jimmy in NC

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:09 pm

Jimmy,

I went through the same process. As I recall, the two grades were not the normal grade 5, 8, etc. There were two, and the better was about twice as much. Also a three foot piece.

Gary

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 am

Not quite a CAD drawing but a quick sketch that should be enough to make a few parts if someone else needs them.

If anyone would like a better image or just has some questions about the parts, let me know.

Jimmy in NC