Little Rhino tractor

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Little Rhino tractor

Post by Hurlbutt » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:25 pm

In the last load of the move from the North West to Alabama there was a Rhino 224. It's one of those Jinma made small diesel tractors, two cylinder with around 22 hp and four wheel drive. There is a Koyker loader on it too.

With in a couple days of unloading it I put the box blade on it and attacked the driveway. We have some slope and the erosion got real bad while I was on the last trip. It was a couple hours work and then there were some garden raised beds to fill. I had uncovered some decent dirt in a pile by the driveway and so there were a few trips with the loader for them. It's handy to have equipment for these jobs, even if it's junk.

I decided to hook up the bush hog and attack the pasture we had been working on that didn't have the heavy thorn apple growth. That's when the problem came up. No PTO!

I pulled the covers off the rear end, transmission, and high low range section to see what I could find for the fault.....ended up removing the loader and splitting the tractor. The clutch release bearing is a bit gritty and has a lot of axial play but the real problem was the two stage clutch adjustment was way out. The transmission front seal and the rear main had been leaking too. I'll be getting some clutch disks along with the bearing and replacing the missing hardware for bolting the thing together.

With it already split I decided to see why there was more blow-by than exhaust. Very heavily pitted sleeve from when water was in it years back before it was gifted around. I found a broken ring in each cylinder too. The wrist pins are worn but I haven't located my measuring tools for checking the rod bushing. The pin wear was mainly in the piston. The oil pump looks like new. The cam thrust is out of spec and I haven't gotten into the head yet.

The water pump didn't leak but the shaft was floppy. It uses two the common 6203z bearings so it is a cheep fix in stead of $120 or so.

There are too many projects. I can't get anything finished before having something else take me from it.
Bill

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Little Rhino tractor

Post by Hurlbutt » Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 pm

I cant find my valve spring compressor. I think it is hiding out in the garage in Texas. I got to get the rest of my stuff from there and sell it. I can't live there anyway because it is so remote (84 miles to the nearest Walley World). While there are multiple heart trans plant centers in Texas, it takes a long time to get there form there and the medical people think I need reasonable access to one.

Any way, with having given my scrap metal to my brother-in-law when I left Washington, I resorted to cutting up the square tubing of the horse trailer ramp for materials. My wife has claimed the trailer for a goat barn and wants a roof built on it to have an over hang so there will be no horses needing the ramp.

I took a three inch piece and cut most of a side out of one wall and used it to compress the valve springs with the hydraulic press. It worked well and was easier than using the real tool.

The valve guides are fine and one valve could be ground while the others should be replaced but my valve and seat grinding tools are in Texas. I'll replace all four valves and the seats look fairly good so will lap in fine.
Bill