Another Jinma project

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Another Jinma project

Post by Hurlbutt » Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 pm

I guess I'm in the acquiring project mood. There was a CraigsList add for a Farm Pro 2425 for $1250 last night. It's a younger sibling to my Rhino. It's a four wheel drive but has a three cylinder diesel instead of two. A brand new fuel injection pump and injectors were installed February 2019 and it ran a few minutes. Then it didn't. The guy fiddled with the timing of the injection pump and got tired of it. Recently, his wife informed him that non-running projects in the yard had to go.

I made about a 70 mile trip one way to the Dalton, GA area and found that it looks good. The guy knew the original owners who had it in a shop for repair. The mechanic said it needed an injection pump and they either couldn't pay for it or didn't want to and let the guy I bought it from have it for paying the mechanic for not fixing it.

It's in my yard now and I think I can get it I can get it running fairly quickly. My wife is wanting to claim it. I don't think so. We don't need two small tractors and the Rhino has the loader. The power difference isn't that much (22 hp vs 25hp) and both are 4x4. So, the Rhino stays!
Bill

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Another Jinma project

Post by Hurlbutt » Mon May 25, 2020 7:24 pm

I pulled the fuel injection pump and made sure the key was in place in the shaft for the drive hub, pulled the cover off of the front of the engine to make sure all timing marks were correct, reinstalled the pump and got it timed. I also tinkered around a bit on hydraulic hose routing for the steering and battery cables. The engine would almost run but didn't quite get there. I noticed the crankcase breather would do a cyclic puff. I think there is an issue with a piston.
I decided to back burner it since it was not turning out to be a quick job and finish inspecting the Rhino engine to get parts on order for it before getting more deeply involved in the Farm Pro.
Bill

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Another Jinma project

Post by Hurlbutt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:51 pm

I finally pulled the Farmpro into the shop. I ran a compression test and found a blown head gasket between #s 2 & 3. The sleeves look good so maybe this will be an easy project after all.
Bill