1010CA Rebuild Project Part III

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010CA Rebuild Project Part III

Post by wwattson » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Haven't been able to get away from work for the holidays as much as I planned but managed to get a couple of nights in on the crawler. Talked to the machine shop today and got the typical "good news bad news" stuff on the head and crankshaft. Nothing really unexpected on the head; no cracks but worn valve guides, burnt valves, going to take some work.

Crankshaft is going to require a regrinding but the interesting thing was the gear. I had left the gear on the crankshaft when I took it in to the shop and the machinist commented that it looked pretty worn and wondered what the camshaft drive gear looked like. "Funny you should ask", I said, remembering the odd chips off the front of several of the camshaft gear teeth. Looks like there's a couple of new gear in my future and probably three if I count the govenor drive gear.

The first picture shows another interesting finding as I disassembled the left side track. Note that the track frame was trying to escape without taking the rest of the crawler with it. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it before but I guess I need to just chalk it up to not knowing what I'm doing or what I'm looking at.

This second picture is view of some really well worn sprocket teeth. Between the shape of the sprockets and the pins and bushings, I'm really surprised I didn't jump the track off the machine.

A view of the rockshaft, housing, and lift arms after removal. These things are a bit heavy if you're lifting them off by yourself.

View of the back with most of the 3 point hitch now removed. Starting to feel like I'm making some progress.

This is the right side steering shaft after I removed the welded on broken steering lever. It was a half-###ed repair but fortunately the welding wasn't any better. No penetration so I just ground it level with the end of the shaft and it was done for.

Here's the broken steering lever. I've got an idea for a repair that should restore it to normal using a welder and a milling machine. I'll show you the after pictures when I get done.

Here's the last interesting finding for this part. As you look down into the steering clutch housing, if you look closely you'll see that the steering control arm is welded to the steering lever shaft. I'm just dying to know how this works out for me as I now a shaft that has something welded to it on either side of a hole through the housing casting. If I could wait until the 23rd century, I'd have the shaft beamed over to a machine shop. Beings it's the 21st century, I'm certain I'm going to have to resort to more crude methods of dematerializing something to get this disassembled.

All for now. If this stuff is driving somebody to drink more than you already do because you also work on crawlers, good for you. If it's just irritating, tell me to stop.
Last edited by wwattson on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wattson

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:26 am

Bill,

Not irratating at all. It helps knowing what bad patch jobs to look out for.
I was lucky on my 440IC that a welder has never touched it anywhere, now servere rust/pitting and broken bolts is what I am running into.

Keep plugging away at your rebuild.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:12 am

Keep up the pics when you can.....that's what makes this site so valuable!

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:02 am

Love the play by play pictures, keep them coming and good luck!
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

pics

Post by spooler » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:58 pm

much appreciated, love the details, much help.

Thanks,
chuck