A Blade full of snow

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

A Blade full of snow

Post by gcgrant » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:30 am

[/img]

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:29 am

Man, send it here, we are wide open and been breaking temp records every week. If we don't get snow soon, the kids are going to kill me.
Lavoy

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

snow

Post by gcgrant » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:29 am

It seems like the west coast of the continent has exchanged weather with the east! In the interior of BC where we are, the weather seems to be more like it was when I was a kid. If we ever think that we are having bad weather, all we have to do is check out anybody elses' weather and most chances are, it will be a lot worse! After a few very dry summers it is nice to see a good amount of snow. What amount of snow do you get in your area of N Dakota, Lavoy?......... George

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 am

It really varies, somehwere under 40 inches is the average, in 97 we had 116". Up til now, we have had maybe 1/2", but there was nothing at all left anywhere. We have been breaking temp records all last week, it was 50 degrees yesterday. Woke up to snow this morning, and still snowing steady. If we get some ground cover that stays, then our temps will drop down where they are supposed to be.
Lavoy

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

snow

Post by spooler » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm

We have 3 feet on the ground now and expecting another 12 inches tonight and tomarrow. I dont run the crawler in the winter. If this keeps up we might need to fire up the 6' snowblower!

chuck

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:49 pm

If we had that much snow on the ground here, my kids would expect a snow hill so big it would need a ski lift.
Lavoy

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by gcgrant » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:54 pm

chuck,
Wow that's a lot of snow! We can get into snow like that on our ski hills that are up out of the valley. How are your temperatures? Is that why you don't use your crawler? When I found my 350 I was a little disappointed that it wasn't diesel. Now that I have started it unheated, with no problem at -25 C (-13F) I'm glad it's gas. You probably get a lot colder than that. We used to get to -40 -45F but that hasn't happened for a long time. That's the main reason over 80% of our pine forests are being killed by pine beetles. I understand that the gas engine is pretty much the same engine as the diesel with different heads. According to specs, torque and hp are the same for both models. Lavoy can probably confirm that.
George

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:41 am

HP is the same, I don't have any torque specs, but would guess the diesel may be higher, or at least a flatter torque curve. That is not to knock the gas, I have one, and am really impressed with it as far as torque. Mine however is a pig to start regardless or temp. Rebuilt the original carb a couple of time, finally installed an aftermarket carb which helps, but is still not the best.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:37 pm

Heck!! I got so little snow in south western Ontario that I am starting some of next springs drainage jobs now .With 3 inches of frost the drainage plows both stay up real nice and as both of my plows can bust 10 inches of frost with ease I guess we will keep going .No cold in sight on the weather forecast so as long as it's not too muddy and they remember to clean the tracks at night its not to bad .Digitup.

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

snow/winter crawler

Post by spooler » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:37 pm

George,
Yes temps in November of this year were -40 most of the month. December gave us lots of snow and warmer temps. We used to see -60 for several weeks but we havent seen that in over ten years. We are gaining daylight now. So I consider it spring. I dont run the crawler because of the temps and the fact I live on top of a mountain and prefer to remain ...on top! The gasser is a beauty! She isn't rigged for a show. She is heavily modified and works great! I was amazed when she picked up a 40 foot tree 3' on the butt and carried it to the pile! Granted I was using forks I had modified to fit the bucket and I only asked Her to pick it up about 6", but she did! Probably helped that I have a ROPS and counter weights. I will install some new tune-up parts this summer and she will be ready for another season of bull meat and tiger muscle work!
For snow work I have a 1974 International Travel All with all 4 wheels pulling and chained toting a 6' snow blower, self powered and belt drive. We mainly us the 1984 chevy C20 4x4 chained and pushing a BOSS V-plow. Takes about 2.5 hr. to plow out with a V-plow. The drive is 2000' ft. long, 400' tall with 6 switchbacks. Of course my wife picked out where we should live!

Happy New Year!
Chuck

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:32 am

Chuck-

I spent some time a few years ago in Wasilla and then a little time in Kennicot (sp?). Looks like Wasilla isnt' that far from you. It sure was pretty country up there and I can't wait to get back up there.

Of all the states I've seen.. Alaska and Montana are my favorites.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

snow

Post by spooler » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Jimmy,
come on up! Wasilla is 30 mile, pretty close. We are always cold and snowy for the iditarod. So Wasilla has the "Home" of the Iditarod, we are the restart location. I live in Hatchers Pass, you might remember it.

I would love to visit Montana , someday. I am actually think of leaving Alaska. I havent been "outside" but once in 24 years. Dont really know what America is like anymore.

chuck

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:33 pm

I lived in Montana for several years during a work assignment, and agree it is one of the most scenic states that I have ever visited.

My friends and others I met in Montana vacation in Alaska and want to go back, so I can only imagine how much better is must be. :)

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by gcgrant » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:55 am

Chuck,
Yes, I can see why you don't use the crawler for snow plowing!! I've only got about 100 yds so my 350 works good. I've welded a couple of chain hooks on each end of the blade. I can chain a good sized log to the blade and move it around and set it onto the bunks of my sawmill. I was amazed at how easy it was.
I guess I'm lucky with how well my 350 starts and runs, it seems like a good strong engine.
When I get to Alaska, I'm definitely going to be checking out the seaplane base at Lake Hood! When I was checking out your area on Google Earth, I had a look around there. Amazing! One of my other passions is small airplanes, especially float planes. Theres got to be thousands around there!

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

float planes

Post by spooler » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:50 pm

gcgrant,
Have some friends selling out on Willow Lake a float plane lake close in here. Dont forget to check out RedShirt Lake for float plane homesite. Redshirt is near where the new road will be built to tie into the new bridge across Cook Inlet to Anchorage. Lake Hood is way to busy and filled to capacity.

Chuck
Alaska has more float planes than anywhere else in the world.

To think I dont fly or own a snowmachine! Silly me I have a horse and a 420!