Lindeman brake bands

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Ray
440 crawler
440 crawler

Lindeman brake bands

Post by Ray » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:54 am

It has been a long time since I have posted anything about my 1945 Lindeman here. .......

This is one of those times when I ask myself .... " what the heck were you thinking ? "

Eight years ago, I was having some trouble with the drive clutches slipping on one side of my Lindeman crawler so I tore it down and put in new steering clutch discs on both sides.
Now ( 8 years later ) I ask myself why didn't I replace the brake bands way back then when I had it all torn apart to change the clutch discs ?

At the time, I wasn't having any trouble with the steering brake bands and there was plenty of material left on the bands so I suppose that is why I didn't replace them then.
At any rate, the steering worked fine after I replaced the clutch packs.
However, this last summer, I have been having to pull back harder and harder on the steering levers to get the brake bands to grab and make the crawler turn.

Here it is all torn down with the rear sprocket and bull gear removed from one side.

Here is the sprocket assembly with the drum that the brake band rides on.

This is the steering clutch pack that the brake drum fits over.

This is the brake band from this side.
As you can see, there is plenty of material still left on it.
However, if this is the original brake band material, it is 75 years old and it is as hard as a rock and glazed over so it has lost its gripping power.
I know that it looks like a rough service on the band but that is only because it is made out of a woven material.
The surface is smooth as can be.

Here is the brake band with the new brake band material riveted to it.

The new brake band is assembled back into the housing.
This is as far as I got today.

The brake bands are replaced on both sides and the crawler is put back together.
The tracks are moved back in place and I'm getting ready to lower the front idler wheels down onto them.

The jack stands are taken out from under the back of the crawler and it is ready to lower the sprockets down onto the tracks.

Then the back part of the tracks are lifted up onto the rear sprockets.

The front part of the track is brought up over the front idler wheel and pulled back on top of the 2x4 boards.
I had made up a track chain puller with a piece of angle iron that bolts to one end of the track and has a threaded rod and chain that hooks to the other end of the track.

Tightening the nut on the threaded rod, pulls the two ends of the track chain together so the pin can be slid into place.

With the pin in place, the puller is removed and the track is ready to have the pads bolted back on.

Last edited by Ray on Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ray

45 John Deere Lindeman ( modified )
46 FMC Bean Cutler ( flat belt drive )
(2) 48 Bolens Ridemasters ser. #R230, #R1051
37 Shaw Du-All tractor conversion
"R/T" home made tractor
1925/26 Centaur tractor conversion

Ray
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Lindeman brake bands

Post by Ray » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:03 am

I see that only the link to my dropbox shows and not the photos themselves.
Not sure how to get the photos to show but I'll try to figure out how to make them work and correct them if I can.
Ray

"R/T" home made tractor

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:43 am

It may be that your Dropbox is your personal storage site, not an image hosting site like the dedicated picture server for this site (or Imgur, Photobucket, etc.). When you are signed in you can read about the picture server if you go to the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements. You have to set up an account with Lavoy to use it. As far as I know, you can use the same login as this site if you want, but Lavoy has to set it up on that site as they are separate sites. HTH
Jim.

mnfordtech
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by mnfordtech » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 am

I had no problem viewing the photos. Nice job!

Ray
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Ray » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:43 am
It may be that your Dropbox is your personal storage site, not an image hosting site like the dedicated picture server for this site (or Imgur, Photobucket, etc.). When you are signed in you can read about the picture server if you go to the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements. You have to set up an account with Lavoy to use it. As far as I know, you can use the same login as this site if you want, but Lavoy has to set it up on that site as they are separate sites. HTH
Jim.
Thank you for your help.
I looked thru the Messageboard and found a posting on setting up photo storage with Imagbox.
I'm only one year younger then this crawler is so getting things worked out on the computer can sometimes be intimidating, but I finally got everything to work like it should.
Ray

"R/T" home made tractor

Ray
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Ray » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:33 am

While putting the tracks back together on the left side, I had my trouble light shinning down thru the track chain and I notice something that looked like a small crack on the outside edge of the rear track roller.
I had looked at all of the rollers when I first had the crawler torn down and rotated each one to check for looseness and, obviously, I missed this crack in the roller.
The light was shining just right on it to catch it.

The crack was just a thin line about 2 inches long and wasn't open at all when I pulled the roller out.
I've been hammering on the side of the flange to get it to open this much.
The roller is all rusted out on the back side and pieces of it were braking off as I went around the roller and spread the flange out.

So .. this side of the crawler is torn down again.
I checked the other two rollers real good and they are fine.
I also took the Lindeman cover back off the other side and checked them closer and they are all in good shape ... just this one roller is rusted.

Luckily, the MC crawler uses the same track rollers and Lavoy still has some.
This is the first time that I have ever dealt with him and he is a very pleasant person to talk with over the phone.

Ray

"R/T" home made tractor