Newbie with a MC crawler undergoing "Rustoration"

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Newbie with a MC crawler undergoing "Rustoration"

Post by PossumFarms » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am

Howdy folks! I am a newbie to the forums and have a 1951 MC crawler that I am working on. I found this site and am looking forward to using it, since I have already found some VERY useful information here!

I've been a shade-tree mechanic most of my life and grew up on a farm. So this aint my first rodeo working on tractors! But I will admit I have never worked on anything with tracks! So this is kind of new to me...

Along with fixing a lot of little issues I have some major issues I am about to tackle - like steering clutches and brakes. I am NOT looking forward to breaking tracks for the first time in my life and diving off into an unfamiliar final drive and clutch/brake disassembly... One side is just fine, the left side is definitely not working like it should. Call me chicken - but this kind of scares me! LOL

I have a YouTube channel and have been documenting my MC Crawler adventures - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7hIadGrk2V

Many thanks to you guys who have posted info in the past - I find this place a treasure trove of information!

Bill
Possum Farms on YouTube

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie with a MC crawler undergoing "Rustoration"

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Steering clutches are not as bad as you might think. I normally stock all of the steering clutch components, and can walk you through the process if you have any questions.
Welcome to the board, and the disease of old crawlers.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:07 pm
Steering clutches are not as bad as you might think.
It is breaking the rusty crusty tracks apart that scare me the most... And they way I think, if I do one side, I might as well do both at the same time so it has been done and they will both work like they are supposed to for a LONG time to come... And adjust them so they both work the same way, same amount of slop, etc... The tracks are kind of downright crusty... I want to sandblast them and paint them to protect them from the elements...

When I got this a year ago, the mechanic at the JD place that replaced hoses and the lift cylinders for me "broke it free" when he was playing with it but he warned be that it still wasn't "right" and to break the track and have him do it, it would be more labor and parts than the tractor was worth... He said the brake bands are pretty much shot! (On both sides)

Now that it has sat in my parking lot for a year, out in the weather, the left stick is stuck and I had to beat on it to get it to move... It broke free but it doesn't feel like it used to. I know it is going to need some attention if I expect to use this thing.

Once I get it running and moving under its own power again and actually get it over to the barn and up on jack stands, I will know more - and be able to tinker with it. I am about to refurbish the entire ignition system and hopefully it will move soon!

I HATE working on stuff out in the tall grass - you drop a nut or bolt and good luck finding it! It's near the septic tank and that area over there is mighty GREEN! (And lush and thick!)

This thing just needs some love... And with this covid nightmare, I have run out of closets to clean out, tool boxes to rearrange and barns and storage buildings to organize... Might as well attack the big green elephant in the parking lot! I have multiple deere's in the paddock and this one is the only one that doesn't move and do something!

Bill

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Sounds good. I stock all of the ignition components as well as many other parts.
Lavoy

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks Lavoy!

That's good to know!

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:22 pm

I broke the track! Finally!

https://youtu.be/wP4pE9wlkUU

I was worried about it... It went pretty well - sort of... I hurt myself breaking the bolts loose, but I got it loose!

Some muscle relaxers, a half bottle of bourbon and several hot tub soakings later - I can walk without a limp and cussing like someone with touretes syndrome!

I bought some new BIG sockets today... Time to go and attack the final drive tomorrow. This should be interesting!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:21 am

You are making progress and well underway. getting some heavier wrenches and sockets will help, sometimes even those break so watch your footing when things are turning hard. A sudden tool failure, or fastener breaking, can dump you fast!

On the safety side, one thing I do see and want to mention is the concrete/cinder block under your blade. Please get get rid of concrete blocks and get some wood blocking. Those blocks crumble unexpectedly and many people have been injured when the blocks failed. Luckily I haven't had to clean up an injury, but have had to upright things due to failed concrete blocks. Years ago, as the old wood blocking around the farm started getting poor, I started buying ground contact rated pressure treated 4x4 and 6x6 from the local lumber yard I use. I cut those up, along with a 2x4 and 2x6, and made a selection of blocking pieces. It costs a few bucks, but the PT is sound and lasts for years, especially if sheltered when not in use. Makes nice, solid cribbed stacks when needed.

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:52 am

Thanks for the comment Jim! Yeah... I agree with you 100 percent on the concrete blocks... However, one of those blocks is a pier block for house leveling - it is solid! But one of them is just a cinder block. The reason those two got used is because they were within 30 ft. of the dozer when I parked it and I wanted the blade off the ground so I could attack it with a wire wheel. But I have warned people of the same dangers...

I have a love/hate relationship with Harbor Freight! I went to Lowes, I went to Home Depot, I went to my trusty Ace Hardware (My only sources for tools out here in the boondocks) and none of them had larger sockets and wrenches available for purchase off of their shelves and I didn't want to wait for a delivery man... Patience is rarely my strong suit!

(I think FexEx, USPS and UPS should invest heavily in Star Trek Transporter technology as to simplify and expedite delivery times of packages!)

Guess who had everything I needed! (damnit) My favorite cheap POS tool dealer that deals in everything made in China... Harbor Freight! And it was ON SALE! My Wife's favorite words! And she had a 20 percent off coupon! She needed some more solar lights for our walkways and my son wanted a magnetic flashlight so he could work on the underside of his New Miata project car. They got toys - I got toys - and it aint even Christmas yet....

I bit the bullet and bought some larger size tools for the row of tool boxes in the barn... I am embarrassed to say... but at least I will be able to get some nuts off! (That sounds weird but you know what I mean...)

I am waiting for dawn... So I can make another YouTube video... LOL

I am SO looking forward to seeing the innards of that final drive! But at the same time, I am also dreading seeing the rusty crusty innards of the final drive! So I can make a list of all the little parts, springs, seals and bearings I am going to need before I bother Lavoy with my grocery list of bits, pieces and parts.... I am afraid I will be replacing a lot of little parts, not just the clutches!

But I will admit, I am happy with the progress being made... What started out as a "stop the rust" campaign has turned into "Let's make this thing look a lot better" project! Somebody is going to be able to enjoy this thing long after I am dead and buried, thanks to a bit of my OCD and my spray painting fetish. I don't know why I like painting things so much! But it looks 1000 percent better than it did!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:16 am

Over the years I have seen many Harbor Freight/China type socket sets small to large, including at work, I have to admit I even have some. What I have found is the sockets will hold up (very seldom have seen a socket or extension break) but the ratchets (and sometimes breaker bars) don't last or take high torque. The solution is to buy brand name ratchets and flex bars (even good used ones) to go with them. If the HF ones hold up good you have two to use. If one handle breaks you will have the other handle to use. You can find deals on those on eBay, Amazon, pawn shops, flea markets, etc.

Likewise the regular HF type combination wrenches seem to hold up reasonably well for most home/farm use. Gear type wrenches have their place but not for breaking loose or turning high resistance fasteners, my opinion, others may vary. I am not against them and do have some in my boxes, but like ratchets they are brand name, with the exception of a small HF set on the open tools out in the barn shop.

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:28 am

I have Snap-On tools from the 1950's (Who uses whitworth sockets anymore?!?) Craftsman and others from decades past... HF is "serviceable" but I am almost embarrassed to have them in my tool boxes!

But a rubber mallet is a rubber mallet... I broke my HF 1 inch ratchet wrench on video! I clicked on a real "Gear Wrench" brand set on Amazon last night to replace it so I can adjust my tracks again when I put it all back together. Even HF didn't have 1 inch and larger ratchet wrenches on the shelf! So Amazon Prime to the rescue!

I will admit though - those "Gear Wrench" brand sets I have bought since they first came out (years ago) have been REAL time savers for me! I have several sets! And of course, several of them are missing the 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches - they seem to go on "walkabout" more often than any other size!

I joked with my wife as we walked past a row of shiny new floor standing tool boxes at the HF store - "Lookie here momma... Christmas is coming!" Her reply - "Keep walking dear.... Keep walking... I need some solar lights!"

Yes.... Dear..... (That phrase has gotten me out of more trouble, more often, than anything else!)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:47 am

Their new ICON brand stuff, looks great. I bought one of their ratcheting end sets, and love it.
As far as warranty, a local shop that I buy (or should I say used to buy) high end expensive impact sockets from to support the local business and get good warranty, pretty much told me to go to hell the other day. They don't warranty swivel sockets, etc, ect, big meany Amazon (yet all my purchases are in their computer) blah, blah, blah. Nothing but excuses, so I had to buy a new one outright, almost $28 for one socket. Then I went to Harbor Freight and bought a whole 8 piece set for $29.99 less my 20% coupon, lifetime warranty. Now when I break one, the guy or girl behind the counter will just look up my name in the computer, hand me a new socket, smile, say thank you, and away I go. Except I have had one of their swivel sets in 3/8" for 20 years or so, and never broke a single one, and I am not easy on sockets.
I like to support local as much as the next guy, but if you treat people that way, you don't deserve business. So I needed a new 15/16" impact socket last week, guess where I didn't go.
Lavoy

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:41 am

I was a field mechanic for years. I found Snap-On tools were more likely to come up missing than the lower brands, like SK and Wizard, and if they got dropped in the mud I didn't feel as bad. I had, and have, some Snap-on tools; along with about every other brand. Most Snap-ons were purchased for special needs and kept out of site. It is likely the reason I don't have more is I wasn't in a shop most of the time to get into the weekly payment feature most of the shop guys were into, I had to buy mine outright as I wasn't sure when I would next be around the shop. Also I found the black oxide adjustables would stay around much longer than the chrome finish ones, crows like shiny.

I have used HF power tools of some types as a trial to see if I want to buy a better one. I had a 4-1/2" craftsman grinder for years and it quit recently. I have a 5" DeWalt as well, but it is a pain swapping discs for different tasks so I picked up one of the HF 8 amp Bauer ones, which was on sale, to try. Seems much better than the ones they have had in years past, we will see how it does.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:35 pm

It's funny you mention grinders. I bought a Harbor Freight grinder at least 25 years ago. Finally threw it away this spring because it died.
Lavoy

PossumFarms
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PossumFarms » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Impatiently waiting for a 2 1/4" 3/4 drive socket to arrive from Amazon... That hub nut is STILL bigger than anything I own!

Even after my trip to Harbor Freight! (Bangs head on desk)

And it is going to HAVE to come off... The bearings are toast! The whole sprocket assembly wiggled around in the final drive housing...

https://youtu.be/D0blCOgRQ7k - removing the sprocket...

Lavoy - do you carry the bearing and races too? LOL I am trying to compile a grocery list for you!

Once I get this stupid final drive off!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Hub has nothing to do with bearings, no need to remove it. In fact, if it is tight, leave it alone, loose hub on the axle is one of the primary failure points on the MC and 3 roller 40.
Yes, I stock all of the final drive bearings, seals, gaskets, and shims except for axle shims.
Lavoy