1010CA Rebuild Project Part IV

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010CA Rebuild Project Part IV

Post by wwattson » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:24 pm

Had to slow down for a couple of weeks to work on my other project (IH 2606 TLB) and build some shelving to get all the crawler parts out from under foot. Got a little done last weekend and some more today between snow plowing and horse babysitting.

This picture is the front view of the crawler now less the console and left fender/step. The console came off pretty easy whereas the fender was a bit tougher as it was being held down by the PTO operating lever. Once the console was out of the way I could finally get a good angle on the groove pin holding the handle and was able to get it apart.

The rear of the crawler with most of the 3pt hitch removed. The rest will come out as soon as I pull the left side final drive.

The final drive is ready to come off as you can see from the gap. I just need to roll my lift around and pull it. I've been dying to pull this drive as it's been frozen up since I bought the crawler and I found that it was full of water.

I've tried a lot of beers during this project and have found that New Glarus Spotted Cow (pictured) is the best for track and final drive work.

This has been the bain of the project for the last two weeks. I can't get the dozer frame out of the rear bar bracket. I thought I'd get the upper hand by removing the bracket only to find that the two bottom bolts are also stuck (you can see one of them in the picture).

Finally, the reason I haven't dropped the tracks on the right side. You'll notice that the end of the master pin is flush with the rail link. After all the fun I had on the left side, I've been putting this off. I'm going to have to deal with it this week as I'm running out of other things to work on. I'm going to give it one try with the rosebud torch tip and big hammer and then it's cutting torch time.

All for now. With any kind of luck I should be to the end of the tearing it apart stage by mid-February and then it's sand blasting and painting time. The engine block needs cleaning and then it's time to start putting it back together. All in all, not going too badly. I need a longer and stiffer breaker bar and a really big impact wrench if I'm going to do another one of these crawlers.
Last edited by wwattson on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wattson

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

1010 Rebuild part 4

Post by Little John » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 pm

Bill, Looks like you are going alone pretty good. I'm tryin' to work on my 440 outside. Winter finally got here. I would be very interested to know how you get the front cross shaft out of the front bracket on the track frame...if you are going that far. I need to since I managed to break some roller mounting bolts and don't relish working upside down. My rear cross shaft was finally freed after pressure washing and pickin' dirt from around it thru the spring mounting hole. Front one has 2 jacks on it and a zerk placed so as to pressurize the end of it w/grease. If spring arrives and it is still together I'll have to wash out the grease and try water and or peroxide...it worked well on the rear. Hope I don't have to go the route to drop the cross bars and flip the entire undercarriage over to work on it. Keep us posted..Thanks, Mora

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm going to take it apart as far as I can reasonably go. That being said, I think I'm going to go with the advice Lavoy had posted earier about the rear cross bar; that being; clean it out as best you can, pressure wash it or better, use a grease gun to pressure lube it, and if all else fails, leave it alone.

I'd like to get it down to individual pieces so I can sandblast and paint everything. I may have to compromise a bit but I'm going to give it heck. I''ll probably have to lay in more beer and resort to cursing in multiple languages.
Bill Wattson

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Swearing in multiple languages

Post by spooler » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Now I am not against physical abuse for stuck pieces of steel or swearing and drinking while resting between sessions of abuse.

However

Try Prayer, I personally recommend asking The Holy Ghost IE The Comforter for Divine direction as He is the communication link to the Divine. God might send you a good idea! You might do best to hold off on the Prayer till last as you could have something you want forgivness for considering all the swearing and drinking that are sure to be used in the first few attempts.

Good Luck,
Chuck