snow tracks

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

snow tracks

Post by gcgrant » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:13 am

What a ride!Image[/img]

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:09 am

Took me a minute there.. but I realized you side slid down the hill! Bet that was exciting. Glad it wasn't more eventful than that.

I once rode the lil 420 sideways off a trailer.. it slipped climbing the ramps.. turned sideways.. and to the bottom I went.

Jimmy in NC
Last edited by Jimmy in NC on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:11 am

Did you have to remove any vinyl from places it wasn't meant to be after that ride?
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi,

Ah, but that does bring back a few memories!

I have enough experience doing that kind of skating with a crawler on ice to qualify for the Olympic Crawler Skating Team - as soon as they make Crawler Skating an Olympic event, that is! :P

Of course, I'm talking about the years I lived in Upstate New York. I doubt I'll get much additional experience now that I live in North Carolina. I've been here over 10 years and have yet to skate any. Not enough ice (when we do get some) and not enough hill anymore. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:22 pm

At least it's still right-side up! :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:53 pm

I've done a lot of goofy stuff in airplanes but that would have scared me more.
Bill Wattson

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 pm

There is no feeling like skating sideways.My local competition in excavating just took a new Deere 450 DLC excavator 120 feet sideways into the neighbors house and half way through . amassing what 45 tones will take with it till it stops .Digitup.

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by gcgrant » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 am

Hey Digitup, even though your competion's accident was serious, I bet you couldn't stop smiling about it! Hopefully no one was hurt. Insurance company I guess. OUCH!
Bill, funny you should mention airplanes, they are one of my other passions. Playing around with skis on my Super Cub on ice was something like my little skate with the 350, which I must admit was a little planned! Risks to life, limb and machine were fairly calculated. But like Lavoy suggest, the pucker factor can get up there, especially when there's something really solid or a drop off at the end of one of those slides. Pulling the crawler around to conteract the slide puts you into a maneuver just like side slipping in the old Super Cub. Great fun as long as nobody get hurt!
George

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 pm

We put used Writgen carbide studs in our dozers and excavators for the winter work .If you know someone that grinds asphalt they will give these to you in the fall. Install enough that three are down at all times or one in every fifth grouser .As single grousers round off they will skate easier.triple grousers will do this from new.Digitup.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:14 pm

George, you've got two up on me. I've never flown on skis and never flown a taildragger although there's probably a few good years left in me to get around to it. I've been flying for 22 years now and just parted with my last plane, an M20C Mooney, last summer. I decided to give it a rest for a while and got into a couple of tractor restoration projects; the 1010CA and an IH 2606 tractor, loader, backhoe.

Unlike most of the folks on the list (I'm guessing), I grew up in a city and not a farm. After living in Iowa for a few years and now having a small horse "farmette" here in Wisconsin, I really started to love the lifestyle and all the really cool stuff you can do with the older tractors and crawlers. I still feel a little bit of the outsider looking in feeling that goes along with not having my roots in the farming tradition, but I'm guessing its better at least be able to experience a taste of it although I'll never be making a living from it.

On the other hand, any decent runway starts with a crawler and I might fulfill my ultimate dream of having an airplane at home along with all the other stuff. I'm deep in EAA country and it'll one day be a homebuilt.

I'd still have to say that doing a side slip in a crawler would shake me up more than almost anything I've done ina plane. I've iced up, lost engines, got beaten up flying over the Rockies, and flown through a couple of thunderstorms but I think I'd feel more helpless in a crawler going down a hill sideways.

As a side note, my neighbor in Iowa was a retired Airforce colonel who came back after his service to run his family's farmer. He told me that the whole time he was flying all around the world, all he really wanted to do was farm. He told me a joke that most of you probably already know but I'd never heard. He said he was hoping to hit in the lottery so he could farm till the money was gone. He was sure making a go of it but even with an Airforce retirement, it wasn't too easy for him.
Bill Wattson