1010CA Rebuild Project Part V

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010CA Rebuild Project Part V

Post by wwattson » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 am

Hope this isn't getting boring. I've actually bent two wrenches in the last two weeks. Got to love Wisconsin rust.

I finally pulled the left side final drive. As some might remember, I found the clutch housing full of water when I bought the crawler and the left side clutch was frozen (only right turns). I've been itching to get into this thing for a while and today was the day.

The first photo is the rig I used to support the drive. It's my engine lift bar but I noticed that the spacing was right for the drive bolt holes. This wouldn't work if the track frame hadn't been chopped but is fine in this case.

This is the drawbar support assembly. I have no idea how you bend one up this way and even less about how to straighten it.

This picture is at the point of removal. Just enough room to get nuts onto the bolts holding it up.

A view of the steering clutch after removal. Looks like it was recovered from a shipwreck.

The inside of the clutch housing. The rest of the shipwreck.

Pulling out the steel and fiber disks one by one. The rust stuck everything together.

Got them all out. By the book there should be 8 steel drive disk and 8 fiber facings. What I pulled out was 7 steel and 9 fiber. At least it must have been rebuilt once albeit wrong.

And finally (about time for some I imagine), the end of the brake drum. There was a fiber disk against the bottom of the drum rather thann a steel disk the way the service manual shows. This actually helped out because the fiber disk stopped the end of the drum from rusting. I've got a bunch of clean up to do but it looks like the replacemment of the fiber and steel disks and a refaced pressure plate should get it going.

All for now. If this is getting old, tell me to keep it to myself and I'll put up a link to the complete set when I'm done. The picture help me out to remember how it all goes back together so I'm taking them in any case..
Last edited by wwattson on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wattson

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:16 am

Bill-

Keep posting. If you can't post crawler pics here and talk tracked tractors.. we won't be able to anywhere.

Looks like you're well on the way to saving the old girl. As for the Wisconsin rust.. I dunno.. my lil 420c came out of the swamps of coastal SC.. I think just rust in general is a pain. Ofcourse if it was easy, everyone would have a crawler!

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:59 am

Bill,

Not boring at all. In fact, I can't wait for the next set of photos. And, I personally do not think you can post "too many" photos.

Good luck, I know it will be a good one when you finish it up.

Chuck W.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by spooler » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Keep em coming...enjoy seeing the project

chuck

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Bill,
The pictures are an awesome look at what the manuals will never be able to give you. Keep posting and don't worry about too much detail. We can always switch the channel if we get bored but I don't think anyone is quite there yet. Besides, this beats all the lame shows on tv anyway! :lol: Are you going to sand blast your parts? That should make for a good before and after set of photos. We'll stay tuned.... :wink:

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:50 am

I've got a sandblaster and was planning on sandblasting anything that needed it. In some cases, I might be able to clean up the parts well enough without sandblasting and I might go that way.

The funny thing about these parts is that they look worse than they are. I took some of these parts and ran them through my parts washer and although they look rusted, they were mostly just coated with rusty grease and cleaned up nicely.

I think it's pretty much a sure bet that the castings themselves will get sandblasted to remove all the old paint and rust on the outsides and I'll approach the insides more carefully to avoid eroding any critical dimensions or otherwise ending up with sand in bad places.

Thanks to all that commented on the pictures. This early into the project, it's about the only encouragement you get for the busted knuckles.
Bill Wattson

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:16 pm

Love the pictures and enjoy watching you progress on your project. If only I could get as much done.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com