Pictures of my new toy - 420c with loader, scarifier and PTO

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
TI420
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pictures of my new toy - 420c with loader, scarifier and PTO

Post by TI420 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Here is my new crawler - purchased in the Fall and it will be delivered in the Spring. Pretty sure I'll need to do some undercarriage work and the steering clutches are stuck...

Hoping to get her going and use it to help restore an old apple orchard on some land I have on the St. Lawrence River in upstate New York. Love to hear your opinions on what you see in the pictures! - Chuck :-)

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Congrats on the new crawler! That should keep you off the streets and in the shop for a few months.
Bill Wattson

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 am

Hi,

Congratulations! Or, maybe that should be 'condolences', depending on how much work the poor old girl winds up needing! :P

I love it when folks post pix of their machines. Every weekend I use mine, I get to thinking that she's getting pretty worn, and then I see others that make mine look like she's still new. Dad used her a lot, but he did take good care of her. I don't use her anywhere near as hard as he did, but I take good care of her as well. :)

I suppose I ought to get the old camera out one of these days and take a few shots of mine to add to the collection here, eh? ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:45 pm

she's not new anymore,looks a hell of alot better than most i seen.you'll have fun with it.

steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

420 Crawler

Post by steamfitter99 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 pm

TI 420, believe it or not I have the same crawler. The loader is made by autocar I think. I have the same snow shoes and the scarifier. I only have three shanks, I would think having all 5 shanks is pretty rare. You will not believe the power of the loader, the front boom cylinders are extremely powerful. Awesome find and good luck! Tom.

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:16 pm

it looks like it is a great machine to start with, how many loaders where made for tractor?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:46 pm

There were almost too many loaders to count, Lord, Henry, Davis, ATECO, Greenville Steel Car Company, Wagner, and a host more that I have forgotten.
Lavoy

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:27 am

wow, i only knew of two (henry&ateco) besides jd

steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

420 Crawler

Post by steamfitter99 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Lavoy, that's it Greenville Steel Car Company, I knew it had car in it. I have broken the stops on the tilt cyclinders once or twice, acting stupid. It is a very nice loader setup. Tom

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:28 pm

I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I think the loader on one side of the country were called ATECO, and on the other side they had the Greenville Steel Car Company name on them. All of the literature I have lists only the ATECO name as far as I remember.
Lavoy

Striker23
MC crawler
MC crawler

Greenville Steel Car Co Loader

Post by Striker23 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Hey Guys I just happen to have an original parts, service, operators book for a Greenville Steel Car Company Hilift, Greenville Pa. About 40 mi northeast of Youngstown OH. Indicates that They were a licensed manufacturer for American Tractor Equipment Corporation AKA -- ATECO
Greenville Steel Car Co mainly manufactured Railroad Cars And I think they may have closed a few years back.

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:35 pm

Nice setup but I would not be able t wait until spring to get it and start tinkering with it.

I have one question and that is the scarifier manually operated or does it hook into the hydraulics somehow?

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

Scarifier

Post by steamfitter99 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Don, it goes up and down by hooking the side rails onto the raised pins of the bucket tilt. If you look close you can see where they hook on. Then the scarifier goes up and down with the tilt of the bucket. You scarify then unhook the scarifier and then use the loader to pick up the scarified dirt. The side bars are kind of heavy, but not too bad. It can all be done without getting off the seat. I remember one time my Dad lost one of the shanks and I looked for 3 hours to find it. Tom.

TI420
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by TI420 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:25 am

Hey guys - Thanks for the replies! I've been out of touch for the past week - been taking care of my two young daughters while my wife went on a well-deserved vacation - and let me tell you - THAT'S a REAL JOB - Holy Cow! :-)

Anyway - Yeah - it's been tough to wait to mess with it and I have a few more months to go even... I had toyed around with having it brought down to my house in Maryland, but I already have too much stuff there, didn't want to transport it twice, and so I figured just getting it straight to my place in New York was the way to go and then I can mess with it this Spring and Summer...

Thanks for posting the info about how the scarifier works, because I'll be honest - I was wondering that myself! It's kind of a downer, though - I was hoping that it ran off some kind of hydralics back there that I could modify to carry my bush hog... Oh well - probably not the best idea to hok the bush hog up to a ozer anyway and then just start mowing rocks - I already have done too much of that with my Ford 8N...

I have these visions of painting the crawler all up nice in the JD green and yellow, but if the past is any indication of the future - I'll just barely have enough time to use it - let alone restore it! I'm kind of a "use them as they are" kind of guy until I retire and have more time - but that's like 30 years off!

The steering clutches are stuck. My friend said they got them unstuck last year by just ramming the bucket up against a wall - I'm hoping we can do that again. The tracks look like they are about negative 10% - I'd like to use them as-is this Summer to lanscape the yard a little, then pull them and the idlers and rollers and throw that stuff in the truck, and bring it down home and replace the pins and freshen it all up over next Winter.

This is a great site - wish there was more action on it. I'll keep you guys posted as to how things go once I get my hands on this and try to use it a little! - Chuck :-)