1010CA Rebuild Project Part IX

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010CA Rebuild Project Part IX

Post by wwattson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Switched over to Photobucket for my picture hosting so I hope this works out OK. I need to stick a fork in Earthlink 'cause they're done.

This first picture is the cleaned up steering clutch parts from the "shipwreck." The part really cleaned up OK due to the silt covering them protected them from the water to a large degree. The main issue I had was getting everything apart due to the rust that did occur. Should go back together early next week provided I get the housing cleaned up and paint this weekend.

This next shot is the stripped down transmission case. All in all, there was no horrible surprises inside that I hadn't already guessed.

Assorted tranny parts. Hope I remember where everything goes.

Here's the first thing I expected to find once I got into it. From the previous posts on the board I had learned that gear beveling causes the crawler to pop out of gear. You can see that the top gear is plenty beveled. The photo almost doesn't do it justice.

The final picture in today's episode is the shifting fork for the PTO. I could tell that it was flopping around loose in the case and not engaged but I really thought the fork was broken. Turns out it wasn't broken but wasn't engaged either. The pin are goobered up from bouncing around and hitting the shaft but no other real damage. I'm going to try a weld buildup and regrind to restore them to cylindrical and proper height.

And to think they used to let me work on nuclear submarines and power plants. Now I work on tractors and manure spreaders. Frightening thing is that from an overall technology standpoint, not all that different.

All for now. Keep your knuckles out from between the big wrenches and big parts.
Bill Wattson

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Must be the radiation we received that enabled us to work on these things. SSN607
Stretch

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Keep the pictures coming - taking that thing apart gear by gear is tough to put back together, take lots of pictures, notes and keep everything laid out in a logical order of reassembly. Looks like you have done a great job so far and am looking forward to more posts of re-asembly.

Paul

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:03 pm

Bill,

Nice to see you making progress. Soon you will be out pushing dirt with it.
Keep the pics coming.
Don
Eastern PA
440IC (1960)