Henry loaders & backhoes

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
hoodeleydoo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Henry loaders & backhoes

Post by hoodeleydoo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:32 pm

Hello,
I would like to chat with other henry owners and maybe get a little help/discussion group going. I have an original parts manual and can help out. Let me know if your interested.
I haven't driven any other 420 with another loader but I think the henry loader is quite a nice match for the 420. not too heavy but able to do alot of work.
I have a 1956 420 with henry loader. I am SLOWLY getting it back into shape. I bought it with a rebuilt engine and LOTS of problems.
After repairing the engine, clutch, both final drives and clutches, both tracks, idler and rollers, I am trying to get to the loader. I still have to repair the track pads, remove the loader and replace all the pins and bushings, sanblast & paint, overhaul the loader valve, add a ripper to the back, outside of a thousand other little things.
I hope to get pictures uploaded soon.
I would really like to see pictures of other machines especially some all finished!
thanks
Kevin
1956 420C with Henry loader

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 420 crawler

Post by jd30series » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:58 pm

I purchased a 420 C with a Henry loader about two years ago. A long story. I have not been able to find alot of information about the henry loader. I don not think this tractor came with the loader since it does not have a reverser and has a 3 point hitch. I can send pictures and model numbers if you like. I believe the undercarraige is orginal +90% and the loader is in good condion for its age. Not sure that the loader is the correct vintage however thus the need for info.
Dave

hoodeleydoo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hoodeleydoo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Dave,
My unit has the same transmission as well.
As for original, I don't know if JD supplied/offered them or they were bought and installed afterward.
The loader was specifically made for the JD420 crawler. You could get it with or without backhoe. The models without the backhoe usually came with a ripper and not the weight set .... according to the original manual I have. Looks completely aftermarket but designed for hte jd 420. Henry made them for the wheeled tractors as well but looked completely different.
My machine was used in a local quarry. I'm sure that not having a shuttle shift became EXTREMELY annoying to the operator.
I use my frequently and you have to be a bit tender with the speed. At full throttle It can be a bit too fast with a heavy load.

Pictures would be great.
thanks!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:59 pm

Henry was one of the Allied Aftermarket Suppliers for Deere at the time these crawlers were built. It is very possible that the loader has been on the crawler since new, but would have been installed at the dealer level, not factory.
Lavoy

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

Henry Loader

Post by jd30series » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:57 am

Kevin - Here are some pics right after we got the crawler. Both steering clutches were full of water and ice. After about a gallon of WD-40 we can drive in a straight line. It was advertized that they needed some adjustment! After some price adjustment and two trips of over 350 miles we brought it home. I was primarly interested in the 3 point hitch which I think on the rare side, but the loder is sure unique! Someday I want to restore the unit. Pics to follow.

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

pics

Post by jd30series » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:08 am

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

more pics

Post by jd30series » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:11 am

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd30series » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:12 am

jd30series
MC crawler
MC crawler

1 more

Post by jd30series » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:14 am

Image[/img]

hoodeleydoo
MC crawler
MC crawler

NICE!

Post by hoodeleydoo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:33 am

Great catch on that one. What year is it? Is the paint on the dozer original? Green with the yellow trim?
What kind of hydraulic pump do you have?
Looks nice and straight. the loader doesn't look rusted. Nice to see that.
The bucket looks in great shape too. restoration would be pretty easy and would look like new when you are done.
The 3pt is great. You'll enjoy that.
I had some condensation rust in my finals - the unit sat with the inspection ports open for YEARS. I tried bottles and bottles openetrant ont he clutches. FInally I have to take them apart. the clutches were fused together I never would have gotten them free unless I took them apart. I only needed some bearings and the fiber clutches, the steel ones cleaned up great. a couple days of fun (labor) and short$$. You don't need to completely disassemble the finals to overhaul the clutches. The finals are not that hard to overhaul. Most important thing it to bring the finals off and on straight so you don't bent the thin tube that the clutch throw-out rides on. I used 2 8" rods to replace bolts and lined up a floor jack on level ground to support the weight. The floor jack worked well as a little trolly to keep the unit level.