1010CA Rebuild Project Part XII, It Is Alive!

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010CA Rebuild Project Part XII, It Is Alive!

Post by wwattson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Made some pretty good progress over the last couple of days. A bunch of painting up little stuff and sticking it back on the engine, removing or drilling out and retapping broken off bolts, replacing the two broken off battery holddown studs, and spending a couple of hours getting the guard off of the PTO attachment. At the end of it all, I wired up a temporary starting system on the crawler and started it. I didn't run it too long as the cooling system is not back on yet but long enough to check for leaks and make sure it lit off.

This first picture shows the temporary starting setup and some of the progress since the last pictures. The digital multimeter is nothing but my temporary oil pressure lamp. Had to keep reminding myself that it was positive ground as I went.

This second picture shows the engine wiring with my new coil and everything else still the ratty old stuff. I just wanted to run it temporarily so I didn't put on the new distributor cap and wires. I also haven't finished rebuild the wiring harness yet. This is just enough to make it go.

Here's a view of the entire right side with progress to date.

And finally the powershaft attachment less cover. I need to replace the needle bearings and outside seal but everything else is OK. I'm happy to say I got the guard off without breaking either piece. It was really stuck.

All for now. I meant to get some pictures of the replacement studs I made and attached to the seat base but forgot. Lot of little detail work over the last couple weeks but it was great to see the thing start up today. I've got some fighting to do with the gas tank to get the sender out and a bunch more sheet metal work to get it looking nice but I'm in the home stretch.
Bill Wattson

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 am

Great pictures, as they all have been. It really helps those of us that haven't gone down the path of a total restoration.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 am

looking great, you inspired me to go find one so i went and looked at a 1010 over the 4th but it was pretty much used up. i'm gonna keep seaching
nick

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:59 am

Nick,

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with a 440 rather than the 1010. Don't get me wrong that the 1010 hasn't been a great project and the fact that it's an Ag version makes it even more interesting but the 440 overall is a cheaper machine to rebuild in my opinion because you get away from the "Deere Only" engine components.

The goal with the 1010 was to do an accurate restoration so I'm having to work with the old rollers, the now super expensive roller and idler seals, authentic parts, etc. My next project will be more in line with rebuilding the machine to be an everyday worker with new sealed rollers, 350 tracks, alterator, new instruments, and modern filters and consumables. The rebuild kits for the Detriot Diesels are numerous and inexpensive compared to the Deere parts and everything seems much easier to find than the 1010.

I'm rebuilding a IH 2606 TLB using this approach and I'm guessing that it will cost me about 15 cents on the dollar of the 1010CA project to end up with a very serviceable machine that I can use every day. It depends on your goals but I want to go a different route on my next crawler project and not end up with a museum piece that I'm afraid I won't be able to find parts for when I break it.
Bill Wattson

brettjones
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by brettjones » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 pm

A couple years back I picked up a 1010c, gas, outside blade dozer to clear and prep a spot for my shop. It was cheaper to go this route than to sub out the job. I have a handful of other projects I intend to use the 1010 for and the thing has proven to be a handy tool to have around, so I'm leaning towards a functional rebuild and modification like you just mentioned in the last reply.

Posting your rebuild is surely inspiring.

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:27 am

well it was just time for another project, yours just got me thinking for the next one. i don't think i will take it to such correctness as you but i will build it to reliable oppertion and daily usable wear.
thanks for the advice, i'm gonna keep looking
nick