getting dirty in texas

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Rex
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Rex » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:10 am

The way I see it there are a lot of people pay good money at Disneyland to get a sanitized version of the thrills you can have with a crawler.

Rex

usa
MC crawler
MC crawler

it dry again, time to get my posion oak butt to work

Post by usa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 am

Matt Bunten
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Matt Bunten » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Stan,

Just read your post about being a dozer operator on fires. I spent a few years working for our state forest fire service on western project fires. We took an engine strike team to Tx one year, and I ended up working a a dozer boss trainee for a week. What a blast! I worked with a guy from the Fla. Dept of Forestry, and had a nice JD 450 with a fesco fire plow. I was also red carded as a sawyer, and used to love messing with the newbies, telling them about the very endangered " Idaho sidehill gougers" or the "Oregon tree squeaks" Good Memories!

Thanks,
Matt
JD 4410, 430 Loader, Norse 290 winch, 1970 JD 350 diesel 6 way

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

My personaly favorite is when plowing snow that has ice under it and the machine suddenly does a 180 with you on the business end of the whip. Then, you get to hang onto a steering lever with one hand while hanging your arse out over the tracks which are still spinning.

Coming in a close second is when you have plowed the snow, but the ice is still there, and you manage to slip 90 degrees while on a slope. Now you have lots of ice skates all aimed downhill. The machine takes off sideways faster than a rail dragster, or at least it seems to!

That puts the snakes in third place with me. :P

Note that all these things happened to me when I lived in the mountains of upstate New York. Now that I'm in a river valley in North Carolina, all I really have to worry about is making myself a soft spot and sinking into the muck. ;)

Do Cottonmouths hole up in hollow logs like Timber Rattlers do???

I might have something else to think about if they do! :P

Stan
I was getting a good laugh out of your story about Things Best Left Alone till you mentioned that incident happened hereabouts. :shock: I think I will move fenders a bit higher up the priority list for 420 parts. Stick fending I can do with my hands, I don't know about snake fending!